5.3

Calum's POV

I roll over in the bed I have called mine for the past week in some apartment in London, yawning as I am pulled out of my sleep by Ashton's high pitched giggling from the bed beside me. I could actually kill him right now.

I wanted to room with Luke but Michael called dibbs.

I glare over at him, pulling the covers up to my chin. Ashton is laying on his back, smiling at the ceiling with his cell phone pressed against his ear. I groan, pulling my pillow over my head to drown out his failed attempt at whispering.

"We went to that big clock thing the other day- shuttup I know- but all I could think about was how much you would love it here," Ashton grins sheepishly. "Shuttup- I know-"

I roll my eyes, if he was talking to Chloe I swear I will rip my head off and throw it at him. I guess I'm not much of a morning person. Or maybe I'm just not much of an Ashton person these days.

"School is stupid," Ashton whines, "Isn't is like 5am there?" Ashton giggles. "Fine, see ya Madds," he giggles, hanging up. I pull my head out from under my pillow, raising my eyebrows at him. "What?" He avoids my glare.

"Nothing," I shrug, biting back my tongue.

Ashton catches on to my attitude, "I'm allowed to say good morning to my best friend," he frowns.

"I know," I cross my arms, trying to restrain my voice. "Wasn't that the whole point of hooking up with my ex? To get over Maddie?"

"Calum," Ashton's tone shifts to apologetic. "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have picked Chloe."

"I was trying to help you, when I said get yourself a rebound, but I didn't have her in mind."

"I was just using her, if I had chosen anyone else I would've felt bad. She was horrible to you, so I didn't feel as bad about using her as a rebound," Ashton attempts to defend himself.

"That makes you just as bad as her, doesn't it?" I mutter bitterly.

Ashton lets out a deep breath, "That was a low blow man."

"Sorry," I look over at Ashton who was now sitting up, elbows on his knees and head down. "Did she help? You know, with Maddie?"

Ashton stays silent for a minute, running a hand through his hair and looking over at me. I knew the answer before he said it, the defeat in his eyes is prominent.

Love cannot be forced to come or go, just as one cannot force the pull of the tides. A wave will come on its own, when you least expect it, and drown you with surprise.

I nod, not surprised. "So are you going to keep talking to Chloe? When we get back?"

Ashton shakes his head, rubbing the back of his neck. I sit up, throwing off my covers.

"Then let's go find ourselves real rebounds," I walk over to Ashton, giving him a pat on the back. "Luke and Michael are writing today, it's just us."

"Why do you need a rebound?" Ashton hesitates before getting up, both of us slipping one black jeans and a t-shirt.

"It's a long story," I shrug. "More of a distraction than a rebound."

"Well it's a long car ride," Ashton gives me a half smile. "It is only one p.m. you know, we are getting lunch first. I can't party on an empty stomach."

"Nandos?" I offer.

"Without Michael?" Ashton gapes. I just shrug. "Okay, lets go."

-