The Five

I woke up in the middle of the night crying from my nightmares. Memories of how I drove Elena and Matt off the bridge. Memories of finding out Damon cheated on me, and then slept with Rebekah. How I tortured Damon. I was such a bitch to everyone.

I tried falling back asleep but it was no use. I climbed out of bed and headed to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

On my way back I stopped at the end of the corridor. My room was down the hallway on the left, I was about to go but something came over me and I turned right.

I walked into the bedroom and got into bed, cuddling up to Klaus. I felt him move beside me, i probably woke him up. 

"Brooke?"

"Sorry. I couldn't sleep. I can leave if-"

I stopped talking when Klaus wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer into his chest and I was finally able to fall asleep.

-

-

I met up with Elena outside the church, right before Pastor Young's funeral. I waited for her by a tree and sighed when I saw her approaching with Damon.

"Damon, I'm pretty sure she doesn't need you to be her bodyguard." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just making sure you don't try killing her. Again." He glared at me.

"I won't kill her."

Damon narrowed his eyes. "How-"

"I turned my humanity on."

Elena raised my eyebrows in shock, while Damon continued to glare at me.

"Stop staring at me like that. You would've done the same thing if you didn't have your emotions. Now leave before I rip your head off."

"Now I'm definitely not-"

"Damon." Elena interrupted.

Damon stared at her in shock.

"It's fine, I trust her. You can go." Elena assured him.

Damon finally left reluctantly.

"Look Lena, I'm so sorry. I should never have turned my emotions off, I just made everything so much worse."

"Brooke, I already forgave you."

"No, Lena. I-I could've really killed you." My voice broke as a tear ran down my cheek.

"I'm sorry, Lena. I was supposed to protect you, not put you in more danger. And you never gave up on me, you helped free me from Alaric. Thank you."

Elena smiled at me before wrapping her arms around me. I hugged her back and we just stood there for a few moments. Catching up for lost time.

-

-

Elena and I walked into the church together. Elena sat beside Matt and Jeremy. Leaving me to sit next to Damon and Stefan.

Carol Lockwood was the first to speak. "Before we begin the Mass, we'd like to open the floor to anyone who would like to share a memory about our late friends on the Town Council. I know that April Young wanted to say a few words about her dad. April? April, are you still here, honey?"

She waited a few seconds but April was nowhere to be seen.

"Is there anyone else who would like to share a recollection or a memory about Pastor Young?"

Nobody got up for a while until Elena finally stood up and made her way to the podium. She looked very week, like she was about to either vamp out or collapse any second.