Chapter 23: Tears of the Heart

A dull pain filled Subaru's head as he woke and strained to open his eyes. His cheeks were swollen and sore which served as a reminder of the conversation that cut short his post festival bliss. Struggling to control his thoughts, he felt the small weight of the somber spirit that he was still clutching against his chest. Her face looked akin to his own and the sight made Subaru's chest tighten while he instinctively brushed his fingers across her sleeping visage. Reacting to his touch, Beatrice slowly stirred while her eyes naturally searched for the source of the stimulation. She met Subaru's gaze with drowsy eyes as her senses slowly returned to her. While Subaru searched for words, the girl's mouth twisted into a grimace. As if spurned by the silence, Beatrice abruptly rolled away from Subaru and stood from the bed. The sound of her footsteps echoed throughout the room as she began to rummage through her wardrobe. Distraught by her avoidance, Subaru tried to speak.

Subaru: "Uh...erhm..."

However, his words sloughed out with little confidence and Beatrice only seemed to grow more agitated. Gathering her clothes and toiletries, the small spirit broke into a hasty jog. While making her quick escape, she threw open the door and proceeded to barely avoid colliding with Adella. Beatrice's eyes went wide as she looked up at the head maid with a pleading look.

Adella: "Lady Beatrice, are you..."

Adella's words dwindled as she evaluated Beatrice's face and saw the contents hanging from her master's arms. As the situation became clear, the head maid redirected her inquiry.

Adella: "Might I prepare you a bath? Please do follow me."

Beatrice nodded her head while Adella took her hand and led the spirit away. Feelings of guilt rattled through Subaru as he could only watch as someone else attended to his girlfriend. There might have been words to console her, but his current state of mind made it hard for him to see any silver lining to the current predicament. Lifting his body from the bed, Subaru felt heavier than usual and almost considered retreating under the covers. Nonetheless, the boy forced himself to get dressed. Opting for a black tracksuit, he pulled the articles onto himself without much care. The act threatened to garnish all of his energy which forced him to slump into a nearby chair. While cradling his head in his hands, Subaru heard a soft knock on the bedroom door. Before he could answer, Adella strode in before towering over him as he remained seated.

Subaru: "Adie, I don't really want-"

Adie: "Master Subaru."

Her voice rang clear as it cut through his sluggish statement. Subaru raised his head and locked eyes with Adella. Where he expected rage, he only found a cheerful smile that made him hesitate in confusion. Seeing that his guard was lowered, the head maid continued.

Adella: "Would you please assist me in making breakfast this morning?"

Subaru: "H-huh? Assist?"

The question left him stunned as he definitely recalled the glare he received when he suggested helping out with chores before. All he could do was regurgitate words and assume that he had misheard.

Adella: "Indeed, please assist me in the kitchen. Come, come."

Grasping his hand, Adella pulled Subaru to his feet and dragged him from the room. Making no effort at small talk, the two ventured downstairs and into the kitchen. Adella motioned for Subaru to station himself at a nearby mixing bowl where he saw various containers of baking supplies that seemed familiar. As the reason for the familiarity dawned on him, Subaru called out to Adella in an irritated tone.

Subaru: "Adie, I'm not really in the mood to make muffins today."

Impishly looking over his shoulder at the counter, the head maid sported a smile as she assertively spoke.