15. The Olive Branch [Part 1]

"I forgot my bracelet!"

Ari rushed off as fast as a jackrabbit, skidding around the corner and disappearing into the kitchen. Both her and Manon had been gifted a charm bracelet by their mother and me as a reward for being such amazing kids. Elizabeth had been against it at first — "should we really encourage them to stick flags to other people's cars?" — but had eventually caved and come up with the idea herself. We'd picked a book pendant for Manon, a pirate ship for Ari, and a miniature rainbow for both of them. Camille had thrown a tantrum when she realized she wasn't getting one, and it took hours of her sulking before she agreed to speak to anyone again.

She was still salty about it, even now, curling her lip while she zipped up her jacket, not humming like she'd usually be. Spoiled little pumpkin. It wasn't like she hadn't gotten anything, but apparently, the simpler, more indestructible bracelet we gave her wasn't nearly as good. The fact that she had to watch Ari being showered with presents on her seventh birthday a few days ago hadn't helped either.

"Found it! I was so silly. I left it on the couch! Can you believe it?"

Ari had returned, grinning broadly at me. She was already dressed to go, wrapped up in her winter coat and striped tights, skipping in place. The kids were going on a sleepover at their grandparents, something they did once every month. They loved it because the Millers would take them to a theme park or zoo every single time, which was also why I hated it, as I was the one who had to deal with exhausted tiny demons the day after.

"Ari," I said, dragging her name out. I looked down at her pointedly, giving her the 'don't mess with me stare'.

Big eyes with long lashes blinked up at me. "What?"

"Why did you come from the kitchen?"

She lifted her hands in a supposedly innocent gesture. "I was saying goodbye to mom in her office, and I took a shortcut."

Lies, lies, lies. She knew very well her mom would come to see them off before they left, and she absolutely had to work on her poker face. "Empty your pockets."

A deep sigh.

"Now," I added, "or do you want your mom to ask you?"

"Oh, man," she whined, sticking her hand in her pocket. I braced myself. Last time, she'd tried to smuggle a knife to school, claiming she needed it to cut branches into spears, and before that, she'd hidden a bottle of all-purpose cleaner in her backpack, believing she could use it to start a bonfire.

Today, it was a fiery red chili pepper, the kind she'd been after for days now.

I snatched it away from her, struggling to hold back my laughter. "How many times do I have to tell you eating that will burn a hole in your stomach?"

She placed her hands on her hips, eyes tracking my movements as I tucked the pepper safely away in my jeans pocket, no doubt already coming up with a strategy to steal it back. "Manon says that's not true." She stuck out her tongue at me. "One day, I'm going to kick your butt."

Now, I did laugh. "You wish!"

"You're going to be crying like a baby!"

"Yeah, yeah, boohoo, go get your bag. Your grandpa is waiting for you outside."

She did, muttering things under her breath about me I doubted were very kind. It took another twenty minutes before all kids were safely strapped in their seats and they left, Elizabeth and I waving at them in the driveway. While she managed to blow kisses like a queen, receiving the return kisses like Cinderella welcoming a songbird in her hand, I was pretty sure I seemed to be inflating an invisible balloon. Well, at least Camille still thought it was funny. As soon as they disappeared from view, Elizabeth hurried back to her office, saying something about work to do, and I was left to fend for myself.