||Kaeya: How to Not do a Mission

Kaeya x male!reader

Requested by KITTIKA_

➷how to not do a mission➷

Early mornings in Mondstadt usually includes bustling streets full of merchants and their customers, buying their newly restocked goods. For the the knights of favonius however, it's full of reports and doing missions.

Y/n had joined the knights of favonius a long time ago, the same time as Kaeya and Diluc had. Although the latter already resigned, the former was still present.

Present day, no pun intended, y/n was sent on a mission with four other people, that which includes Kaeya.

Admittedly, he was never close with said man. As the captain of the exploration team, Y/n was always sent on missions outside of Mondstadt and rarely ever inside his home walls. He does get homesick, but a lot of the times to busy to even think about it.

"Captain y/n." A knight beside him called. "This is your first time accompanying sir Kaeya out on a mission is it not?"

The knight looked barely 19 with a young face and short legs. Of course he had called y/n with captain instead of sir. Y/n was not on the very communicative side of the team and never made it his job to befriend everyone.

Y/n answered the young knight, "I usually work alone." Of course the rest of his team were divided into groups. it was he himself that preferred adventuring solo.

"Doesn't it get lonely sometimes?"

Y/n gave him a strange look, "why would it? There's always someone in the wild, and the cities are always bustling."

The young knight was about to answer again, but was immediately shut off by Kaeya. "Just leave the lone wolf. He's better working alone anyway." He said with a hint of laughter in his tone.

Not long after, Kaeya raised his hand to a halt. They had arrived at the entrance of a forest.

The team looked at Kaeya, waiting for his command. "As they say, twice the results for half the effort."

(事半功倍 shì bàn gōng bèi)
Meaning: the right approach saves effort and leads to better results

It didn't take much effort to walk through the forest silently. The three knights had to watch their step carefully, but for y/n and Kaeya it was as easy as striding through a beach.

The young knight that had spoken to y/n before missed a step, accidentally cracking a stranded stick in his path.

Before being given a time to react, a white light, seemingly like a knife was sent his way.

The knights hadn't realized, but the two captains did. Y/n who was standing closer to Him had reacted quicker thank Kaeya, pushing the young knight away with his elbow.

Long in writing but quick in reality, y/n had his back against a tree before the rest had realized what had just hit them.

Finally the cryo mage showed itself, a shield around it. It laughed it's joy away and began to strike again along with it's hilichurl friends.

...

Y/n was struggling. Struggling to breath, to stand, to see. His eyes focused and unfocused, hand against his chest while the other leaned against the splintered tree.

'and this is why I work alone' he thought painfully.

Y/n's chest burned and he was sure he had broken a few ribs. This wouldn't be the first time either. Back in inazuma he had met some unreasonable people and unceremoniously fought with them. Y/n remembered how he had to support himself wall to wall back to the inn.

In the end, y/n Unseated his sword and helped out, slicing head left and right. By the end of the day, four was wounded and one, kaeya, left unscathed.

Y/n and kaeya tended the injured knights, white bandages turned red in an instant.

"What about you? Are you alright?" Kaeya took a few steps closer to him.

"I'm okay." Y/n answered stiffly.

Kaeya didn't believe him, yet didn't push further and went away.

Not long after though, he came back with a bottle of water. His bottle of water, and offered it to y/n.

The knight, half bandaged and watching their awkward interaction didn't know wether to laugh or cry, instead averted his eyes away.

"No thanks."

"Or do you want me feed you mouth to mouth-"

"Thanks for the water."

Y/n grabbed the bottle from Kaeya's hand, secretly sneering.

Grumbling silently, he downed half the bottle before passing it back.

Kaeya, now silently regretting, packed up and gathered the rest of the knights.

It didn't take long for the to reach Mondstadt's bridge. Good ol' Timmy screaming at them as they passed by as usual.

Kaeya talked loudly, telling a stort of some sort while y/n followed behind the rest. He didn't mention such a thing, but he felt light headed, and his chest stuffy.

Meanwhile, the cryo captain continued, "-and I told him to climb a tree. Turns out he didn't know how and fell! Right y/n?"

"I'm sorry, what?" Y/n coughed politely into his fist. "Climb a tree? Who-"

"Y/n? You face is pale." Kaeya's face that was still smiling turned into a frown in an instant. The distance between them and y/n, he had just realized, was quite far. "Come here. Or no, wait, I'll come to you-"

Before he had taken a step however, the man already had his hands full of blood. More kept coming as coughed. His other hand clutched his chest tightly, the burning pain from before had worsen along the way.

Y/n's vision refused to focus, Only able to see blue running towards him before he finally hits the ground.

...

Y/n didn't know how long he was asleep when he woke up tired and in pain. 'at this point I'm going to retire early to my grave.'

"You're finally awake!" Barbara's high pitch voice grabbed y/n's attention.

"You broke four ribs! I thought you weren't going to survive!"

"Barbara I've had worse injuries before-"

"It's because you've had worse that we thought you weren't going to wake up. Are you a cockroach? Still alive after all that."

Y/n groaned, "Kaeya."

"You're rarely ever home and when you are you're on the brink of death. Care to live a little bit more healthier?" Thought he seemed to be joking, Kaeya held a hint of anger in his tone; it was rare indeed.

"How can I when I have a job to do."

Barbara waved her hand dismissively. "Kaeya's just worried for you! Let's all calm down now and take a breather. Y/n, please rest up and try not to die." She said before leaving.

Kaeya spaced out. Try not to die. Yes, he had hoped y/n would at least try to not get hurt.

Seeing as how the room had gotten quiet, Kaeya diverted his attention back to y/n to give him an earful.

The latter had already fallen back asleep. His eyes shut tightly, mouth slightly ajar. Kaeya couldn't help himself but to lean down and pressed his own against y/n's.

"Have a quick recovery, y/n." He said his wishes before leaving the room.

︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶༉‧₊˚.

Wow you didn't die for once lmao

Anyway, hi I'm doing my homework while making this. I also have a debate presentation tomorrow oh no :(

Stressed? Yes. Blessed? No.