The Rain

Chapter 34 - recap

I repeated what I was supposed to before uttering the two words I had been dying to say. "...I do."

The priest smiled and granted Natsu permission to kiss me, and he did just that. The crowed cheered and I smiled into our kiss. This was heaven on earth, and I wanted it to last forever. But of course, heaven on earth can never last. And all good things must come to an end.

And just as soon as things where looking bright, someone turned out the light.

• * •

Chapter 35 - The Rain

It was raining gently when I woke up. I stretched and yawned, a small smile on my lips. Only a few weeks ago I had taken the name Dragneel as my own. Beside me Natsu lay sleeping still. I slid out from under the covers and went to change. I decided to be childish and go out in the rain, so I put on a black tank top and shorts before stepping out onto the balcony.

The rain was bright, dancing through the sky and leaving soft, warm and salty kisses on my skin. I tilted my head up to stare at the clouds, fluffy and grey in the sky. It was a warm rain, one I would love to dance in. The sky and heavens where happy.

I felt arms encircle my waist and a voice murmured in my ear, "What are you doing out in this rain Mrs. Dragneel?" My heart fluttered in my chest.

"I was just enjoying the weather..." I respond quietly.

"If you stay out too long you'll catch a cold," he sighed.

"I'll be fine," I assure him, "It's only a little rain."

"Alright, well let's head in for breakfast," he urges.

"Okay," I nod and follow him inside and out of the rain. We head down to the dinning hall where Wendy was waiting. We all sat down to start eating and talked as we ate. That's when a soft ringing was heard from Natsu's phone.

He looked at the screen and frowned as he answered it, "What is it mom? You never call.." Wendy and I exchanged glances.

"Alright, I'll bring them with me." He put the phone up and looked at us.

He only said four words, "Something happened to dad."

• * •

My hand was over my mouth and Natsu was shaking slightly. Wendy was sobbing into my chest quietly and Mrs. Dragneel was pale.

"He didn't want to tell you because he didn't want you to worry. He wanted to see you happiest while he faded." She sobbed.

"You shouldn't have kept this from me, from us!" Natsu cried.

"I had no choice, Natsu! It was his will, and I only wanted him to be happy!" She gasped.

"Well it got us all real damn far," Natsu growled before racing outside into the storm.

"Natsu!" I yell after him. Wendy let go of me to peek up and see her brother storming away from the small private medical facility. Lady Dragneel was sobbing by her dead husband, mourning his death and the pain of her son's anger. Wendy went to her mother and I chased after Natsu. We knew he was going to die, but we didn't know it would be so soon.

He had his hands shoved in his pockets and his head was bent. He was soaked, and he walked slowly and dejectedly. I stopped running and stared after him. "N-Natsu!" My voice came out in a sob unintentionally. He turned and I could see despite the rain the tears on his cheeks. I ran towards him, my hair flying and I slammed into him and held onto him tightly.

"Natsu, I'm so sorry!" I breathe. He tightens his hold on me and leans his head into my hair. The rain was beating down hard and there we where, in the middle of a back street just standing in each other's arms. I could feel his hot tears mix with the cold rain. He had lost his father, when he barely had any time to enjoy with him.

After a while I pulled away from him saying, "We should head back. We're soaked to the bone...and I don't want you catching a cold." He was silent as I led him back. We got back inside and before long Wendy pronounced she was staying with her mom from then on. We had no objections to it, we wanted Wendy to be happy.

Her mother turned to me and said, "I'm giving the house to you. It is now yours and yours alone. Take care of Natsu, and Wendy and I will be sure to visit. I can't live there any longer..." She sighed and sadly looked at her recently deceased husband as he was being transported away. Natsu and I, still soaking wet, hugged them and left.

After getting home I immediately stripped myself after getting to my room. I changed into new underwear, a shirt and shorts. I dried my hair and went out of my room and into the sitting room. I saw Natsu standing on the covered deck in a new pair of shorts and a shirt. His hair was ruffled from where he towel dried it.

"Hey," I greet him softly from the open door. He doesn't acknowledge me. I hug myself slightly as I watch him. I walk up beside him and study his face. It was emotionless, staring blankly into the distance. I kissed his cheek gently before moving to stand in the rain for a minute again, in hopes it would be dancing and warm again.

But in the end, the sky was only crying too.

• * •

The End

• * •