Chapter 36: Let Me Protect You (IV)

Shang Ke and Feng Juan's stature were contrastingly smaller compared to their peers, and with the addition of their eastern features, they simply couldn't avoid being "bullied" by the other children when they started elementary school. However, although Shang Ke's right leg was not too nimble, handling those few children was still easy enough. He used but a few days to subdue those brats that had nothing better to do but look for trouble, not even the teacher was alarmed.

Fran Elementary School's education was very easy, there was quite a bit of free time which Shang Ke used to think about computer subjects.

The Ferrg couple(the foster family) heard that Shang Ke wanted to buy a computer and immediately prepared to take them to Computer City.

Shang Ke interjected, "Mr. Ferrg, I want to earn money and buy it myself."

Mr. Ferrg asked with a smile, "And how are you planning to earn this money?"

"I saw a violin in the study yesterday." Shang Ke used a gaze full of anticipation to look at him, "Mr. Fergg, can you let me borrow that violin? I want to play a performance in the park."

"Oh?" Mr. Ferrg was a bit surprised now, "You can play the violin?"

Shang Ke shyly nodded his head.

"Alright, let me hear it. If you play well, then I will let you go." Mr. Ferrg took out his violin in high spirits and handed it to Shang Ke.

Shang Ke tested the sound then stood perfectly straight and bowed to the Ferrg couple and Feng Juan. His noble-like manner made it feel like this was his personal musical performance, making everyone watching it feel very priveleged.

Shang Ke placed the violin under his chin with the bow on the strings and started to play a fast-beat children's song with considerable skill.

Amazement flashed through Mr. Ferrg's eyes, as he really didn't expect that the child could play the violin, and to actually play this well. His violin wasn't some kind of famous brand, but in the child's hands, a touching and ample melody sounded from the violin.

After the performance was over, Mr. Ferrg agreed to his request without any hesitation. After that, he would take him to the park every afternoon until Shang Ke earned enough money to buy a computer.

Feng Juan watched quietly by the side the entire time, his gaze dark and heavy.

Shang Ke was always so dazzling, multi-talented. Compare to him, he felt that he had no good points at all.

At the park, Shang Ke ended his last song amidst the clamoring applause and turned his head back to see Feng Juan's frustrated appearance.

He handed the violin and today's earnings to Mr. Ferrg and said, "Mr. Ferrg, I want to stay at the park a little longer with Ian today."

Mr. Ferrg looked at Feng Juan and his eyes became somewhat understanding. He nodded, "Be careful, don't come back too late."

After Mr. Ferrg left, Shang Ke dragged Feng Juan to sit on a bench in the park and asked, "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." Feng Juan pursed his mouth, his expression being lonely.

"Juan Juan." Shang Ke looked at him, seriously berating, "We are brothers, family and should be frank with each other. If you aren't happy, then I won't be happy either."

Feng Juan raised his head and met a pair of bright eyes. On Shang Ke's forehead were beads of sweat that glistened under the sunset and they seemed to contain some kind of vitality.