Chapter Thirty: To Put it More Eloquently

Recap:

Bennett decided to leave the Musketeers and the others are handling as well as a bad breakup- crying into a tub of ice cream. But actually though, the three of them blew up in front of each other and are at each others' throats (the bad kind, not the kinky kind). Jordan is furious, Naomi is lost, and Declan is frustrated dealing with it and the other two. Now they have to face the last week of school until graduation. How will it be like for them now?

And that's all you missed on Glee!

- - - -

"Look, I know it's the last week of school and that this is a senior class, but you could at least hold out for a few more days and not skip school. "

The reason my first-period teacher said that was because of how much emptier the classroom is. Honestly, my graduating class should be given more credit seeing more people seem to be here than I had expected.

"Anyway, I have things to grade so... free period with a movie?" The teacher pointed at a student raising their hand. "And no, you cannot leave the class because the principal won't let me hear the end of it if I do."

Suddenly, the classroom door burst open to mark Jordan's grand entrance. He doubled over with his hands on his knees, gasping for air. To say he looked like a mess was quite an understatement. You know how bed hair can be cute? Yeah no, Jordan had bed hair but it looked like his hair was defying gravity and that he came out of a comatose instead of a good night's rest. His outfit seemed to be a collection of whatever seemed to be clean. A gray long sleeve tee with a mysterious stain on the collar, dark green plaid sweats, and colorful mismatched socks tucked into his sneakers.

Wait...

"Good morning, Jordan," our teacher greeted. "I admit I'm surprised, but I'm glad to see you're one of the responsible students who decided to- Are you wearing your pajamas?"

"No, it's a fashion statement," Jordan replied dryly. "Why can't all clothes be comfy so we can wear them in and out of bed?" Even when he was deadpanned, he managed to still throw in a joke.

"Jordan, take a seat. This is my first class of the day and I already know it's a long week," the teacher told Jordan who scoffed in response.

When Jordan turned to sit at his desk, he froze in place.

"What a damn coward," he snarled under his breath.

The teacher looked at him in confusion. "Excuse me?"

But Jordan ignored the teacher and went to sit down.

As the teacher set up a random movie, my classmates who decided to come to school talked about how they wished they didn't. In this class, there was no assigned seating but had individual desks organized in rows and columns, so the four of us would often sit together in a cluster of four desks to make a square in the back corner of the classroom.

But while Declan sat at his usual seat in that space, I sat in a different seat still at the back of the class- away from him, away from everyone else. Jordan, seeing this, also took a different seat at the back of the organization of desks. I ignored the quick glances our classmates gave us as their conversation topic went from skipping school to how the four of us have now become three but could barely be called three at all.

I glanced at the other two and saw them both looking at Bennett's empty desk. It felt weird. Everything felt weird. I hated it.

And so the rest of the class period was spent having a movie play with no one paying attention to it. Declan stared out the window as he listened to music through his earbuds. Jordan put his head down on the desk, probably catching up on sleep. And I looked back at my phone, mindless scrolling through nothing.