Chapter 37

"Think about it," Valentine prompted as Jace's hand holding the blade to his neck shook. "Why are the two of you so drawn together? Blood, calls to blood, no?"

Valentine knocked Jace's arm from where it was held, and Serena moved to hug him from behind, his hands covering his but his eyes unable to leave Valentine's.

Valentine ran his stele over a mirror, turning it into a portal as he faced them all, the twins now standing hand-in-hand, shoulder to shoulder.

"My dear family...together at last. A lost mother found. A brother and his sisters finally united."

Jace screamed as he ran at Valentine, pushing his blade to his neck once more, while Serena just stood, motionless. She was in denial. She was unbelievably disgusted with Valentine and herself.

"You won't kill me," Valentine bragged. "You won't kill me. I said that you were weak, and I meant it."

Jace grunted again, teeth bared and gritted.

"What's wrong Jace? Can't kill the man that raised you and your twin?"

"I can!" and Clary ran forward, blade drawn, and Valentine spun, holding Jace's own blade to his neck and it snapped Serena out of her daze.

"Go ahead, Clary! It's two for one. And we can't even fight back. No?" he asked as the girl hesitated, looking at the boy she had loved only to learn that it was her brother.

"Come with me son. You know that you love me. Your sisters are welcome to join us. You can even bring your mother along. We can find a way to get her moving again. I'm sure Serena knows how with all that time she's spent with those revolting Downworlders."

Valentine then threw Jace forward, right into Serena's arms as they watched Valentine disappear.

Clary then flinched as Luke burst in, running straight for Jocelyn as Jace turned to his big sister, who was just as unsure as to how to feel as him as they hugged each other, holding on for dear life.