40

note: the picture above is not from the original anime, i have edited it myself.
that being said, enjoy the chapter!
--

"besides." nobara spoke up after the 4 of you did some combat again. "he will get over it fast." she said as she looked at you while holding her knees, panting.

you wiped a single drop of sweat from your forehead and spoke up, "i hope so, but its more than just rejection." you said and looked at the said boy who was practicing with his shikigami not too far away.

"im in love with someone else." you finally confessed your love for inumaki to nobara, although she already knew the obvious. she breathed out, "finally." and stood up straight.

smiling at you, she continued, "you finally said it." she said and gave you a thumbs up. you sweatdropped at her reaction as the topic you guys were talking about was rather sad.

reminding nobara of the actual topic, "seeing someone you admire, loving someone else, is horrible." you spoke and nobara slightly slumped in her position.

"oh right, megumi." she held the back of her neck and smiled sheepishly at you. nobara regained her composure quickly, as expected.

you sighed while nobara was looking calmly at you, "hey now, y/n." she tried to reassure you and spoke up, "this is life, it has to be done." she said and gently put one hand on your shoulder.

the motion made you look up, facing her and you nodded your head after a while, "ill do it after training." you breathed out.

she looked you in the eye while smiling at you, then nodded. "lets kill some time then, i have more moves to show you." nobara raised her voice in hopes it would lift your spirits.

after you guys trained for an eternity, you spoke up while grabbing your bottle of water, "nobara, what is the time?" you said and took a sip from the bottle.

she looked at her phone and spoke up, "close to 6 actually." she said and you almost choked on your water. time went by in an instant.

nobara showed you her few new moves and how to perfect them and you gave her tips to be more defensive in combat. the teamwork worked perfectly and you could definitely say you were already stronger than yesterday.

the sun was slowly setting, it was already almost evening after all. the sunlight was shining in warm streaks on your skin and the whole scenery had a light orange-ish hue.

you looked up at the few clouds that were passing and spoke up, "nobara you can already go and get dinner." you said to her as you sighed.

"i have to take care of something." you spoke up in a whisper. you tilted your head down and looked at megumi who was standing not too far away, just talking with yuuji.

nobara knew what you were referring too and nodded, "let me know how it went." she said and passed you while patting your back, on her way to jujutsu tech to have dinner.

it is as if she did gods work, she walked over to megumi and yuuji first and hooked her arm into yuujis, held a small conversation and then forcefully dragged the pink haired boy along with her.

megumi looked at them with a small smile and then went to the side of the open field to gather his stuff. you took this change to approach him too.

he noticed that you were also still on the fields and changed his mind, he stopped in his tracks and went to walk straight up to you.

you saw that he was approaching you and so you did too while waving at him. he waved back and gave you a gentle smile.

when you were close enough to each other, you spoke up, "megumi, i need to speak to you real quick." you said as you held your hands in front of you, not sure if you made the right decision.

he raised his brows and went along with it, motioning you to continue. you breathed in to calm your nerves and started from the beginning.

"when i was in a coma, i heard someone on the other side of the door." you said after a while and wouldnt dare to look at him. you looked down instead.

his mouth slightly parted, "you could hear everything?" he asked you as he had the slightest bit of surprise in his voice.

you felt the atmosphere grow tenser, the orange-ish hue round you didnt help the situation either. instead of relying in a verbal message, you nodded your head to let him know he was right.

you looked at him and what you saw  hurted you slightly. he was looking down at you with widened eyes, the both of you knowing where this conversation would go to.

"i heard someone confess their love for me." you spoke up in a whisper, fortunately still audible for him to hear. he bit his lower lip and looked down slowly to the ground.

the wind blew through his hair, it was silent, neither of you dared to say anything for a moment. all you heard was the sounds around you, the rustling of the leaves, the few birds chirping.

you made the final decision, you would ask him right now, "it was you, wasnt it?" you spoke up and looked up at him. but you didnt meet his eyes, you could barely even see his eyes.

megumi didnt make a sound, he remained in the same position, his head hung low. he felt embarrassed, not knowing how to react, he never took in account that you would be awake then.

he couldnt lie to you about such a topic so he remained silent, letting the silence speak for you. you wanted to see his face but he hid it for you for some reason.

opening your mouth to tell him, "im sorry, megumi." you said in a slightly raspy voice. you felt your words get stuck in your throat.

you swallowed thickly, hoping this was just a sick nightmare, but it wasnt. your eyes became a little glassy as it blurred your sight slightly. but the tears never came, you wouldnt cry in front of him when you did this to him.

blinking more times, the tears faded away and you inhaled sharply, speaking up once more. "i can not return your feelin-" you were cut off by megumi himself who had remained silent for the past few minutes.

"i know!" he yelled out, raising his voice more than necessary. you flinched at the reaction but decided to keep quiet nonetheless. megumi sighed and continued, "i know you cant." he spoke up in a more subtle way.

he remembered all the times that you were with inumaki, all the times that you went to the violet eyed boy instead of him.

when the two of you stayed together at the kyoto event, the numerous moments the two of you had dinner together, when the two of you leaped into each others arms in the mansion after running for hanami.

but not only that, he saw the moment inumaki kissed you on the cheek, he saw whenever you two hugged, he saw when he used your first name he had seen it all.

megumi regretted it, he had seen the relationship develop in front of his eyes yet ignored every step of it, ignoring the two of you getting closer and surpressing his own intense feelings for you.

megumi gritted his teeth, angry at himself that he stayed silent as always. but then he spoke his mind, "im sorry." he told you and his voice broke. it was all he said and he turned his back to you, walking back to jujutsu tech.