026

in the kenobi residence...

"You think she should threaten to kill everybody?"

"Do you want my help or not?"

They had been discussing the prospect of rescuing Han for over an hour now, Avery's ideas leaving Luke both impressed and unsettled.

"I do. I'm just kind of hesitant to ask my friend to threaten to bomb a crime palace."

"I've watched a lot of mob movies. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about."

"That's what we're putting our faith in?"

"Listen," she began, almost condescendingly, "You said this place would be full of nasty people, right? Leia is bringing in a dangerous beast. That in itself is going to be impressive—but isn't that suspicious? How could someone as small in stature as Leia incapacitate Chewie?"

"I'm following, actually."

"Great. So, these people are going to wonder how an average-looking bounty hunter managed to capture Chewbacca. We need to give them a reason to buy into this narrative. If not, she's going to stand out even more."

"Are you sure that a bomb is the best approach?"

"Absolutely. Everyone needs to feel threatened by her. Even if the braver individuals feel inclined to confront her, they'll be hindered by the fear of the group. We'll have more control over the situation if we can get an entire room to think the way we want them to."

"I'm so glad you're on our side. You should have been writing up strategies for us this entire time."

She paused, eyeing him suspiciously to see if he was being genuine.

"I don't think so. I'm not very smart. I'm stronger athletically than academically." 

"What? You're super smart. I've always thought you were."

"Really? I was always average in school."

"That isn't what I mean. You have a very calculating mind. You're always observing other people, and you're good at interpreting their behaviors. I lo—like that about you."

"Ha. You just want me to kiss you again."

"I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to it."

"That's funny, because you were saying earlier that we should try to prioritize the war instead of our—well, you know."

He huffed, crossing his legs and resting his chin on the palm of his hand, mildly irritated that his own words had come back to bite him.

"Keep strategizing, then," he told her.

"As if I'd ever take orders from you. Still, I'm enjoying this, so I will keep strategizing."

She uncapped a pen—he's not sure where she got it from, really—and drew a large square.