forty two: ignis

ignis: fire, light, flame

———

ELARA slid off the Thestral, landing lightly on the grassy field, the breeze picking at strands of her hair.

Draco dismounted behind her, the picture of eternal grace and moved past her, the scent of peppermint and teakwood invading her senses and making that knot of dread in her stomach loosen just that slightest bit.

She watched as he stood in the wide, open field, sharp eyes taking in every detail as he turned in a slow circle—the endless sky slowly lighting up as dawn approached, the trees fringing the field, the soil and grass underneath their feet.

"We need to find a clearing," he said to her over his shoulder a few long moments later. "We can't risk the grass here catching fire."

Orion and Carolyn landed beside them atop Bear, the other Abraxan apart from Lucifer in the stables.

"I spotted one a little way down," Orion called, pointing ahead as he stilled Bear. The horse was skittish, pawing at the ground with his enormous hooves. "That should work."

As Draco set off in the direction Orion had pointed in, Elara gave the Thestral next to her another pat. It nuzzled into her hand and she smiled.

"Don't go anywhere, alright?" She leaned in to whisper to it. "You're kind of our ride home."

The Thestral only made a small sound of acknowledgement and Elara swiveled around again to find Orion holding out his hand for Carolyn. She ignored it and slid down herself, smoothing down the flannel she was wearing.

Orion didn't look fazed. Only let his hand fall back to his side and turned on his heel. "Ready, little minx?"

Elara mustered as much of a smile as she could manage. Her sleep had been plagued by nightmares: ones of the cell she'd been kept in and Iris. But she'd woken and forced herself to calm down. Had gone to get a glass of water and talked to Kaia who had been down there for a late night snack for a good twenty minutes before trudging back up to her room, feeling lighter, her head clearer.

They set off after Draco, Orion in the lead, Carolyn bringing up the rear. Elara didn't even know how they'd convinced her to join—but she didn't seem to be complaining as they trekked through the field.

There was nothing but the field and the trees lining the edge against the backdrop of the brightening sky for as far as the eye could see. They'd chosen an open place for a reason and Elara felt slightly better, knowing there were no walls to close in on her, to trap her.

Draco was standing a little way away, in the middle of a circle devoid of grass. Just soil and dirt underneath his feet as he took in the surroundings, tension written in every line of his body.