~ 𝓂𝑒𝒹𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 ~

Walking back from the meeting, I shuddered at the thought of my procedure on Friday. How had Dr.Griffin explained it? 

Removing bone marrow tissues to send to a lab by inserting a small needle into my bone while I am awake. He reassured me I would not feel any pain, but the thought of being awake scared me.

We made it to my room, which was still barren of any personality. I stumbled into the door frame and clutched my stomach. I felt a little faint and nauseous. 

Mom clutched my arm and half-carried me over to the bed. I collapsed upon the white sheets and was out like a light.

*******************

I started falling through the mist. The beast still hadn't caught me. Then again, I always fell before it could. 

I sighed, no longer scared of this scene, calmer than anything. The mist-shrouded my vision and the wind rustled my hair.

The ground crept up on me, the only warning was a distant melody of a birdcall. 

The mist faded as I floated right before the ground. I was so close that if I bowed my head, my nose would be buried in the rich soil. 

The wind circulating around my body dropped me. I thundered to the soft grass. My skin was smeared with green and brown stains. 

I got a good look at my surroundings. Trees with wide, healthy green leaves shaded the sun from the warm forest floor. Undergrowth littered the ground with ferns, bushes, and grasses. 

I looked at my bare feet. I was wearing a white flowing top with jean shorts. 

I smiled. I have always loved the forest and hiking. It always seems so alive and welcoming. 

The dream shattered as a thunderous roar shook the trees, breaking the soothing silence.

*************

I awoke to gentle crying, hushed condolences, and stifled sadness. 

Kiera, Alex, and Zach had been picked up by Kiera's mom and brought back to the hospital with the permission of their parents. 

Kiera's mom was hugging Mom while Dad patted his wife's back. Kiera had settled unmoving next to Zach. Zach's eyes were red as he settled a hand on her shoulder. Alex, my strong brother who never shed a tear, was shaking as the salty tears fell from his eyes. He had his face buried in his hands.

They noticed me stir from my slumber and rushed to my side. Kiera griped my left hand while Dad clutched my right. I sat up, but was met by another wave of nausea and would have fallen back if Alex hadn't caught me and gently laid me back onto the pillows. 

"Hey, take it easy." Alex's deep voice comforted me. 

"Sam," Kiera's voice broke, "What's happening. They said you wanted to tell us. Why--"

Zach's worried eyes caught mine, "Is this the- this floor's specialty-"

I took a deep breath, "The blood tests came back. Guys, I have-" I continued shakily, "I have cancer."

"Oh my God." Zach covered his mouth with his hand. 

"There must be a mistake. It can't be-" Kiera squeezed my hand. 

"No K, no mistakes. I am having a bone marrow biopsy on Friday to see what type of leukemia I have."

Alex had been frightfully silent during the exchange. He just stroked my head. 

"I'm so sorry Sam." He whispered. 

A single tear fell from my watering eyes. 

"I'll most likely have to have chemotherapy, so this is my new home for now."

They all took turns giving me a hug and assuring themselves I will be alright.

"Come on guys." Keira put on a brave face and wiped her face with her palms, "Let's make this place welcoming."

We spent the next hour decorating my room with colorful pops. By we, I mean I did the least because they told me to rest. 

That evening, Keira's mom took her home before Zach's father came to take Alex and his son home and he handed me a pot planted with an orchid. Alex would be staying with Zach for a few days so he could still go to school. He protested but lost the argument. 

Mom and Dad would stay with me tonight in the hospital and would take turns getting off work for the next week to stay with me.

 I am so lucky for their support.

***************************

Friday rolled around and I went over the day in my head.

I would be prepped and rolled into the operating room. A needle will inject into my bone to examine the marrow. When the procedure was over, I planned on sleeping or relaxing.

Everybody will be waiting for me when I get out. Kiera, Zach, and Alex were at school now but wished me luck last night and a million more times over text. They will be here when I am done.

The day passed in a haze of nerves. I hardly remembered dressing in the blue gown, taking vitals, or having a conversation with the doctor. 

I had to calm myself as they rubbed a numbing substance over my hip. They promised I will not feel a thing. 

The nurses smiled at me and one of them handed me headphones. Mozart floated through the speakers and my eyes droopily fell closed.