Chapter 27. Waterfall

Olivia followed Lord Nathaniel eagerly as he lead her through the hallways and eventually outside. It was a fine afternoon and the blue sky was clear of any clouds as the sun shined brightly above them. The girl turned to face him with an excited expression as they walked.

"We're going outside?" She questioned to see him nod in response.

Behind the castle was a large and vast forest that continued for miles. Now that they had left the castle they ambled through the forest following a stone path. Eventually, the stone path had disappeared as they continued deeper into the forest, but it seemed he still knew exactly where they were going despite the fact every turn they took looked the same. Olivia glanced back, unable to see the exterior of the castle anymore due to the tall ominous trees that blocked the view.

If it weren't for Lord Nathaniel leading the way, she would've been completely lost by now.

He abruptly stopped as she slightly stumbled into him before regaining her stance.

"We're here"

Olivia looked around, confused about what on earth he was talking about. She couldn't see anything except the tall pine trees that surrounded them.

"Nathan... why are we here?" She furrowed.

He ignored her question and instead walked over to some hanging vines and leaves. He pushed them aside, revealing the entrance to a dingy cave. Taking a step inside the cave, he turned and reached his hand out to her.

"You brought me all this way for a cave?" She questioned.

"Do you trust me?"

She glanced at his hand then back at his ruby eyes.

"I do."

"Then take my hand."

And so she did, placing her small hand onto his as she felt her heart flutter with excitement.

The light from the entrance began to disappear until eventually she was completely engulfed by the darkness. Olivia found herself holding onto his hand even tighter as she followed him deeper into the cave. Although she could not see anything, she could sense the inside of the dreary cave was spacious as she could hear drops of water echoing loudly. The air was thick and humid which made breathing rather difficult.

Amidst the darkness was a small glimpse of light in the distance, it was the entrance to the other end. She was relieved as the light grew bigger until they were fully out of the cave and in broad daylight.

The girl let out a gasp, amazed by the beautiful scenery that surrounded them.

In front was a tall rocky ledge with water drizzling down as it eventually fell into a small lake, creating a beautiful yet loud waterfall. The body of water glimmered underneath the sunlight, the water was unbelievably clear and had an ethereal-like quality to it. An abundance of flowers flourished nearby, filling the fresh air with a sweet aroma that mixed with the earthy smell of wet soil.

She had never seen such a magical looking sight, it was something only to exist in dreams or those paintings she saw back at the castle.

"What is this place?" She said as she watched the falling water.

"A hidden waterfall I found as a child." He replied. "I came here a lot back then, nobody but me knew about this place. I would always come here to escape and hide from the castle and from my father."

Her smile faded, turning her gaze downwards as she thought about what he said. Olivia recalled him telling her that he had lost his parents due to humans, and she could empathise as she too had lost her mother and father. She remembered her parents being kind and affectionate with her as a child, but she wasn't sure if vampires were the same when it came to their family.