thirty six

•••

•••

THE NIGHTMARES DONT come as often as they used to for bucky. he's grateful for that, being able to sleep through the night peacefully. yet sadly every once in a while he'd wake up gasping for air, sweat glistening on his forehead.

the routine was the same every time it had happened; alexa always hearing him so she'd wake up, lay him back down and hold him in her arms. sometimes he'd talk about it, others he would shakily ask for alexa to talk instead, and she would until he was asleep again.

bucky wasn't having a good day, so he had decided to head to bed early. he laid a kiss on alexa's head as he stood up, telling her goodnight and that he loves her before heading to his room.

it was 2 in the morning when alexa woke up to bucky muttering words in russian in his sleep. he was laying on his back, alexa rubbing her eyes and sitting up. he kept jerking in his sleep, alexa unable to imagine what he could be dreaming of. she laid her hand on his bicep, lightly shaking him.

"james, honey, wake up." she spoke, shaking him lightly again to not startle him. even in the darkness she saw the way his face contorted in his sleep.

"buck, wake up." she tried again, shaking him a little bit more forcefully this time. that's when she saw his eyes shoot open, and in a split second bucky shoved alexa down onto her back and his vibranium hand was tight around her neck.

her eyes widened as her hands went to his wrist, alexa gasping for air. he towered over her, him having that dead, cold stare in his eyes. the ones she had seen for the first time in years when they were in DC all those years ago.

alexa quickly decided to wrap her legs around his waist. she used any momentum she could get as she bucked her hips up against him, making him flip onto his back. alexa was now straddling his waist with his hand still gripped around her throat tight. alexa knew she didn't have much time left to snap him out of this. she didn't want to hurt him though.

"bucky please." she gritted out, hearing a loud gasp from bucky. he let her go as he came back to reality, his hand going to cover his mouth.

she inhaled loudly, having a coughing fit as she could breath normally again. she got off of him and sat criss cross as she tried to stop coughing. her hand went to her throat, rubbing her neck.

bucky's breathing was loud and erratic, his head in his hands as he sat on the edge of the bed. alexa hoarsely asked friday to dim the lights, the room dimly lit up. bucky pulled at his short hair, muttering curse words under his breath.

"james?" she hesitantly placed her hand on his shoulder, bucky immediately getting up from the bed to get away. bucky leaned against the wall, and she finally saw his face.