Chapter 44

Friend

It's been a long time since she's revisited her old memories from her days in the orphanage.

The haunting eyes of children as they wait for death, those skin and bones tucked in an overused washed shirt and worn-out shoes. I fairly remember myself fighting for that one piece of cracker that was given to me by one of the few volunteers who came to the orphanage though it wasn't very common to see.

I fought with all my life, for that one cracker for I know that is something that can save me from this breakdown.  If I remain passive as others do and those who are weak and who cannot take action for themselves then j would be going them to that room.

The dying room.

It was an extremely unpleasant memory, something that I do not want my child to know not to remember anymore for it brought nothing but pain.

Sometimes I would lie awake in my bed and think of those innocent lives being overtaken by death due to everything less.

Less money, fewer volunteers, and too many children.

"Yu Han? Is it really you?" She asked with hesitation, the person she's looking at now was way too different from the child that she knew of in her memory.

Yu Han was weak and too passive, she was merciful of him and treated him close but never the same as him.

"I am, it's me, Yu Han" he smiled, his eyes crinkled in the same way it does before.

"You're looking good now" she smiled, relieved that the days of him being too weak to fight were no longer holding him back.

Yu Han got adopted three years before and we have never seen him before. He was adopted by foreigners who went to donate to the orphanage which made us relieved for a week or more.

"How are you?" He said as he walked beside me, his hand naturally take the plastic bags filled with groceries from my hand.

"Thanks, I'm good now, how about you? How's life for you?"

"Good, my parents were very kind to me and I am currently working in their company. How about you?" He seems to be walking to his car, it didn't deter me from leaving since I knew him since we were a child, just like him.

"Fine, I'm working as a nanny while my child studies with the child I'm taking care of" I said offhandedly and walked straight to his car when I notice him stop. "Yu Han?"

"You're married?" He blinked his eyes in confusion and I remember the moments that I dreamt like a girl and wishes to marry him.

"No, but I have a child" I smiled thinly and didn't bother to see his reaction more and urged him to start his car.

I told him my address and he brought back the groceries inside. Along the way, it was very quiet and he seems to be thinking of something.

I arranged everything and saw him still standing there with a dazed look in his eyes. I look at what he's staring at and saw a picture of me and JuJu.

"She's JuJu, about to become four years old this following week. Do you want to come here and celebrate her birthday?" I asked while he nodded, still in a daze until I snap my fingers in front of him.

"Sorry I was just... she looks like him"

Oh.

She does but it doesn't matter anymore, he's not a part of our world, it's only me and JuJu.

"Is that so? Will you eat with us this afternoon?"

"Oh... um.. Yeah I will, I will" he stumbled on his words and managed to confirm.

She didn't wait for him to snap off from his shock and decided to chop off some ingredients and cook.

In no time, she manages to finish three meals and looked at the clock. It was already time for the children to leave school.

"Yu Han!"

"Yes?"

"Would you mind driving me to JuJu's school?" She dries her hands and took her apron off then left the kitchen.

"It's fine, I can drive you there" he said and soon they were off.

***
Chapter 44 is up!

Sorry I can only manage to write this since I just got back from being sick. Also, I'm sleepy but can't sleep, ugh

Anyways, have a great day everyone! Stay safe and healthy!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!