Chapter 18

It seemed the universe hated her.

Another few days of fighting had passed, and she'd woken up one morning expecting to continue her upward spiral in becoming stronger, but had been greeted with a terrible feeling she hadn't experienced in awhile.

The horniness was back and it made her want to gouge her eyes out.

She had become accustomed to getting her 'stress relief' from Damon whenever she got like this. In a similar manner, she was there to help him when he felt the same way. It had been days since she last had any sort of relief, and being surrounded by half-wolves made the feeling worse this time.

Groaning into her pillow, she rolled over onto her stomach, trying to stop herself from smelling all the pheromones drifting through the house. Klaus had surely made more hybrids, because there were new smells she didn't recognize— he'd brought more males, that was for sure.

"Esmeray," Paige called, knocking on her door an hour later. "You're late."

"I can't come," she said weakly, having been pressing her blankets between her legs since she woke up. "I don't feel well."

Paige knocked harder. "Nuh uh, you don't get a cheat day without first doing me the courtesy of letting me know you're not going to come."

"Paige, please, don't make me go right now, I really can't—"

There was a pause, and Paige knocked again. "Esmeray, let me in."

"Go away, Paige—"

"Let me in."

She flicked her hand angrily, unlocking the door and sitting up quickly, her face still red. Paige came inside and stared at her before bursting out laughing. "Nevermind, you really do need a break. Damn. No wonder the guys have been asking about you. They know."

"What?" she snapped. "What do you mean they know?"

"They're still part wolf, honey, they can tell you're in heat."

"Ugh. I forgot they call it that." She covered her face. "This is so embarrassing. I'm not used to being near wolves when I'm like this. This only started happening to me several months ago."

"Looks like someone was a late bloomer. Maybe it was a thing back in your day. I suggest you cast a few protective spells over the room if you don't want them bothering you."

Esmeray whined. "Can't you make them leave? I hate how they smell, it's terrible."

"I can ask them to go outside, but I don't know if they're going to listen. The heightened emotions... they want to get laid."

"Tell them to go get laid then! Convince Klaus to give them a day off! I don't want to go down there if they're going to be there."

Paige shrugged. "Alright. Can't guarantee it'll work, but I can try."

Esmeray let out another groan as she flopped back onto her bed. She could hear Paige telling the hybrids to leave, causing some of them to chuckle, but it seemed that they did, in fact, listen.

The only one who hadn't was Klaus, and she hadn't realized it until she went downstairs to try and eat.

Suddenly, her entire perception of him had changed. She fixated on all the good things in his memories— the kind lessons he'd taught Marcel. The way he and Elijah had gotten along in the past. His jokes with Rebekah. The days he wasn't being a complete psychopath. He knew what he was doing, too, because he was leaning back in his seat, manspreading and holding his bourbon over her groin area, his other arm tucked behind his head, a wicked smile on his face. In that state, she wanted to pounce on him, beg him to rip her clothes off, and—