Chapter 16

I woke up past midday the next day.

Didn't I have classes today?

I checked my phone to see it was Friday.

Well, it was too late now.

I turned over to see that Reyn wasn't there. My muscles ached. I think it would've been easier to name surfaces in this room that he didn't have me pressed up against last night. But, leave it to him to still have energy the day after.

Had he gone to work?

Flipping the sheets off of me, I gingerly got out of bed with a groan. Every part of me protested and screamed at me to lay back down.

Standing in the closet I smiled at the fact that Reyn had sectioned part of it off for my clothes. A giddiness filled me from the sight of my clothes hung right beside his. I glided my hand across the various pieces. Light cottons, breathable linens, luscious velvets, rough sequins. Shivers traveled up my spine at the plethora of sensations.

I removed my hand and walked into the bathroom to brush and shower off any remnants of the night before. I dressed in a crocheted set and changed my bandages before venturing out and into the kitchen.

"Good afternoon, my sleeping beauty."

I started at the sudden noise before turning to see Reyn lounging on the couch, iPad in hand. His right ankle was propped on his left leg and his left arm rested along the top of the couch as he smiled at me.

"Are you hungry?" He continued.

I nodded before insisting I could fix something up for myself.

"Don't worry about it, princess. I worked you out quite hard yesterday. Let me have my turn." His hand brushed along the back of my neck as he walked by.

My skin burned at the reminder. I lifted a hand and rested it on the lower half of my face like a mask. Reyn glanced at me while he retrieved a few eggs from the fridge.

"You shy, baby? I don't recall you feeling this way yesterday when--," he continued to tease with a warm smile.

I ran up to him to cover his mouth. I pursed my lips when he kissed my palm followed by my forehead.

"Go sit down, little one. I'll be done in a few minutes."

Instead of sitting down, I hugged him from behind as he cracked the eggs into the pan. He chuckled, trying to look at me over his shoulder.

"Are you feeling okay? Hopefully not too sore?" His tone changed from teasing to laced with concern. "We probably should have waited longer... you just left the hospital yesterday." His hand tightened around the spatula.

I rested my hands on his waist and pressed a kiss onto his back.

"I'm fine, Daddy. Really. Just a little sore; but I suppose that's to be expected."

"Still, baby." He huffed. I sighed; he was always so tough on himself.

I wedged myself between him and the stove, forcing him to take a step back. He looked down at me full of curiosity. I grabbed his face and pulled it down to mine. I lifted myself up on my tiptoes to press my lips against his.

"I'm okay. Truly, Daddy. So don't be mad okay? If I really wasn't ready I would have stopped you." My eyes bore into his, trying with all my might to get my point across to him. He sighed and cradled my face with a hand.

"You promise?"

"On my life," I swore to him.

"Hmmm, and we both know how important that is." He replied, his eyebrows furrowing.