Chapter 89: And i loved the stars

I'll never understand how the educational system expects me to write a 32 mark essay on a poem I have never seen before in 45 minutes.

Just my daily rant.
Ok I'll fuck off now.
Enjoy the chapter. <33

————————————————————————

We couldn't do anything but laugh.
I didn't want to do anything but laugh.
I wouldn't let any other emotion dominate me.

The food we consumed was desirable and the atmosphere in this room was as close to perfect as it could have ever been.
I suppressed all of my destructive emotions.

I told myself that I wouldn't learn to love the sadness when the only version of love he taught me was excitement.

"Remember when Christian accidentally set off a bomb?" Adriano adds to the laughter.

"I don't think that was accidental. He tried to disarm it. I should have known better." My father chuckles.

At least no one was hurt.
I hope?

I wanted to engage in the conversation but I felt that if I had to say the words 'remember when' I'll start crying and I don't think I know how to stop.

Dominico held my hand the whole time.
The look in his eyes proved that I wasn't the only one hurting but his grip in mine was enough to give me the strength to survive another night.
I can only hope he's okay too.

"Okay but didn't you send a false missile alert to the American embassy?" Christian raises his eyebrow at Adriano.

"It was actually a nuclear missile." Adriano happily smiles.

I should be shocked.
Why am I not shocked?

The smiles on this table were so contagious that I couldn't feel anything but happiness. If that even still exists.
And I knew that if I came to tears they would be of happiness.

"Are we not going to talk about the time Diego and Xavier stole a wheelchair from a hospital and it made national headlines?" I add.

"I still don't see what we did wrong." Diego rolls his eyes.

Neither do I buddy.

"That reminds me." My father stands exiting the room momentarily.
We all remain silent until he returns carrying a large box wrapped in expensive pure white material tied with a black bow that is draped with pure gold.

"I wanted to do this when everyone was here." He tells us.
Walking over to the other inside of the table, he hands the elegant looking present to my eldest brother.
In shock he stares at my father and then back down upon it.

"It was always you. It will always be you." My father quietly enlightens him and I see a small smile on the corner of Christian's mouth.

He slowly but delicately unravels the packaging and removes the heavy top from it.
Our eyes widen at the site of it.

It was a grande black, white and gold sceptre. It looked abnormally heavy yet Christian lifted it up with such ease.

"I know that you will never disappoint me. This Mafia is yours, if you want it."

Were we astonished? Yes but surprised? No.
There was no one more deserving of the role of capo than Christian.
Amongst all of us he was the hardest worker and I don't think anyone could have been prouder.