March 31, 2021 - Celebrating International Trans Day of Visibility

Hi Wattpadders,

It's more important than ever to celebrate, elevate, and honour the transgender community around the world.

March 31st is International Trans Day of Visibility, a day dedicated to celebrating the trans and gender non-conforming community's contribution to society and raising awareness of discrimination faced by transgender people worldwide.

As the platform for stories and the people who tell them, we want to take this day to uplift some trans voices from across Wattpad. For the trans community and allies, representation isn't just about visibility, it's about humanity. It's about intentionally creating spaces where trans people feel like they can belong. We acknowledge that not all spaces are created equal and for people who experience multiple forms of marginalization, there are extra layers of complexity, and greater risks in living life freely and visibly.

Transgender people worldwide continue to be targets of transphobia, discrimination, and severe violence. According to a report by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, at least 37 trans and gender non-confirming people were killed in the United States in 2020 alone— more than any year since the HRC began tracking this violence in 2013.

The need to protect trans voices has never been more urgent. We know that Wattpad is an important platform for marginalized folks to share their stories, connect with other community members over shared experiences, and feel safe to live their truth without fear of hate. And for every trans story told, countless readers feel seen and other writers feel a little bit braver to share their story.

It's important that we actively foster a safe environment and culture where marginalized groups, including trans voices, can be their authentic selves and share their stories and voices with the community.

Here are just a few incredible stories on Wattpad featuring trans characters. We hope that you'll take some time to visit these writer profiles, read their stories and check out their reading lists for even more trans stories from writers in the community. 

1) Whoever You May Become - by HicksScribbles

An excerpt:

I can't recall verbatim a word I said to you, or the things Mike or Renee said when they stood during our ceremony to profess their happiness for us... But I remember knowing at that moment exactly what you meant by those words specifically, that none of them knew yet. I knew I'd remember those words for the rest of my life.

You knew I was trans.

You knew before I was ever brave enough to shed the denial, and fear, and guilt, I had shouldered for so long.

2) Moonlight - by BeauVanDalen 

What it's about:

In daylight, Indigo Sarte is the perfect daughter, a future student of the Healing Arts. In the shadows, he is a master of forbidden alchemy, ruthless and cunning, all in the name of fulfilling his wish for true freedom.

Indigo's sights are set on The Academy-a prestigious establishment where aspiring alchemists are taught to master gifts inherited from their birthrights. But Indigo is recognized as a woman amongst his peers, and The Academy's rules are clear: Women heal. Men fight. Disobey-die.

3) Marin's Fire - by rhymeswithfry

Why we love it:

It's medieval historical fiction with a strong trans protagonist.

After being accused of fathering a child that couldn't possibly be his, Marin must choose between revealing a deep secret to prove his innocence, or accepting heavy consequences for breaking his vows of celibacy.

Looking for more?

You can also visit our LGBTQIAP+ and #FreeTheLGBT profiles on Wattpad for to discover, share, connect, and celebrate LGBTQ+ stories, themes and characters.

Thanks for being a part of our community and helping create a safe place for all voices and stories to be heard and uplifted every day, on Wattpad.

- Wattpad HQ