.4.

Jeon Jungkook was 15 when he made up his mind as to what to do with his life. Finish high school, for starters.

Losing his father a year before had made him realize how drastically one's existence could change from one day to the next. While the country mourned its president, the family had moved out of the Blue House, leaving behind the political scene and all its foul play. Jungkook felt as if he had been required to grow up overnight, being the only male left in the household and all.

His mother had considered relocating to the countryside to embrace its proverbial peaceful life, but the teenager had found her project too radical, putting forth the argument that if he ever was going to apply to MIT, he better graduate from one of Seoul's top high schools.

Mum had been shocked to hear of this new project, to say the least. Coming from a long line of lawyers, she'd never even contemplated the possibility of Jungkook wanting to become anything other than a human rights attorney. She didn't fight him on that, however. And for that, Jungkook was thankful.

The boy then worked extra hard to improve his grades in preparation for the dreaded CSAT, which he nailed because that was just the kind of person he was. Once he'd set his mind to a goal, he wouldn't settle for anything but overachievement.

So off he flew to Cambridge, MA. Six years later and a Master of Engineering under his belt, he came back to South Korea and successfully applied to some of the biggest tech groups in the country.

Jungkook was 24 when he made the first decision his mother ever opposed.

"You shall not accept this job offer. I won't allow it."

Sure, the company had fallen out of shareholders' grace seven years prior, due to a flawed product they had to recall. Sure, the salary was not nearly half as much as what some of the other firms were willing to pay him. Sure, the prospects for advancement were limited. But Jungkook suspected his mother's fierce opposition had to do with something else entirely.

When he finally found the courage to ask her about it, the answer he got hit him like a time capsule: "It's classified."

There was no way Jungkook was turning down that offer. And so the following Monday morning, he joined the ranks of Biobotics, "for a better future".

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡