Chapter Thirty One

Elaina ~

Hearing Caleb tell her that he loved her pumped the life back into Lainey's soul. His words wrapped Lainey in a blanket of warmth and contentment as she sat, snuggled in his lap on the couch.

They talked for another hour about Caleb potentially staying with her for a few more months, per her fathers request. The rest of the team would obviously go back because if Ricardo won the election he would have government issued protection, and if he lost he'd have a few less targets on his back and would be able to hire a regular security team.

The thought of having Caleb around for a few more months made Lainey's heart do a little dance behind her ribs. She had been preparing herself to say goodbye to him next week, with the election being only two days away, but it was looking like that goodbye could be postponed for a while - hopefully forever. Her mind was bouncing back and forth considering the possibility of leaving Colombia to follow Caleb back to California. The thought was exhilarating and terrifying all at the same time, but Lainey couldn't help but consider it as a possibility.

She and Caleb talked for a while, enjoying the feeling of finally being in each other's arms after an emotional rollercoaster of a night. Lainey could have sat on those couches and talked to Caleb until the sun came up, but the truth was, she was exhausted. Her eyelids were heavy and fought against her with every blink, but she refused to move from that couch or from Caleb's arms. Letting out a big over-exaggerated yawn, Caleb had clearly picked up on how tired she was and stretched his arms out before wrapping them around Lainey.

"Let's get you to bed, I know you're exhausted." Caleb said low into her ear.

Lainey nodded in agreement as she stood and gathered the blanket in her arms, but as soon as she was upright and took her first step, something felt off. Her movements weren't just tired, they were uncoordinated and unsteady as if her muscles were putting up a protest to what her brain wanted them to do.

There's no way I'm this low. I took a dose in the car ride over.

Caleb narrowed his eyes and watched her movements carefully as she moved before wrapping an arm around her waist to steady her.

"I think all this excitement has got my levels all messed up." she said in a shaky voice as they walked toward the door.

With his eyes fixated on her unsteady legs and his arm wrapped tightly around her waist, Caleb kept a hardened expression, but softened it when he spoke to her.

"How about I get you set up with a nice little electrolyte cocktail when we get inside." Caleb said with a grin.

As soon as they made their way through the kitchen doors, Caleb lowered Lainey into a kitchen chair and turned to get a drink from the fridge. The slight bobbing of Lainey's head caught his attention and halted his movement, causing him to turn around immediately to steady her in the chair, by crouching in front of her and holding her in place.

"Anybody wanna grab Lainey an electrolyte drink from the fridge?" Caleb asked no one in particular.

"I got you." Marcus' deep voice echoed from the living room.

"You okay Lainey?" Declan asked as he stood and walked toward them.

She nodded with her eyes closed as she leaned her head back onto the chair, which was not a very convincing response.

Marcus tossed Caleb one of Lainey's electrolyte drinks and she heard him  twist the cap off before he put the drink in Lainey's hand. Her small fingers curled around the drink and she took one big sip before resting the drink back in her lap.