part three

⇉ the one where she makes the lists.

part three

Juno is the type of person that likes to make lists.

Back home, she drafted a list for everything. Homework pieces that must be all completed in a specific night, ingredients she needed to get from the store to make whatever new dish she wanted to try, possible locations for her next date with Hyunjin, you name it. Whenever there was something that needed to be tackled but she had no idea where to even start, Baek Juno always wrote down a list.

And now, she sees no other way to even begin to comprehend the mystery that is this school without making a list detailing exactly what it is that she knows so far - both from her own deductions, and the conversation she'd just had with the three boys in the cafeteria.

What I Know:

1. I am a telekinetic (that's what it's called, apparently).

2. All the kids here have some type of power.

3. This school is made up ONLY of kids with said powers.

4. Having 'powers' is by no means a normal thing (wtf!!).

5. This private boarding school is located, not on Jeju Island, but on some other private island nearby.

What I Don't Know:

1. Why do I have this power? Why do any of us do?

2. Why did I get transferred in my senior year, instead of in my sophomore year as everyone else is?

3. Why do the welcome brochures and advertisements say that this school is located in Jeju, when it isn't?

4. Are the kids here the only ones with these abilities, or are there more of us out there?

5. Why do the grades only stretch from sophomore year to senior year, instead of freshman year and up?

6. Why does a "correctional institution" seem so wealthy? Who is funding all of this?

7. How can they be sure that everyone coming here even has a power?

8. Why was my luggage checked so thoroughly before I could even get on the jet?

9. Exactly what will happen after we graduate and become "corrected?"

Juno sighs, longing to tell someone back home about the craziness that is this place, but there is just no way to get in contact with the outside world.

How convenient.

Once again, she flips the notebook cover over. The much longer list of unknowns stares back at her, and her eyes narrow with a steely resolve. As a naturally curious person, she knows that there is a decision to be made. She can forget about all of this; walk away from it all and just quietly finish her senior year.

But.

Something feels incredibly sketchy. It doesn't help, either, that the part of her which loves a good mystery is thrumming with excitement. In that moment, Juno knows that ignoring it all will simply prove to be impossible even if she tries.

The sound of chatter outside grows louder, and Juno glances towards the door. It is now time for dinner, and even though her stomach growls slightly, the earlier snacks having not satiated her raging hunger, she decides against going outside. The guys from earlier had thoughtfully invited her to have dinner with them should she decide to show, but her inner introvert takes hold. After the conversation in the cafeteria, her social battery is completely drained. She knows she's only delaying the inevitable for breakfast tomorrow, but she doesn't really care.