A Choice of Fate

"You cannot just take a detour, you are above doing mundane tasks."

"This is war and if I do not have control over my own men, then I will lose," I refute, making my way down the hallway as Penelope follows closely behind in a hasty pursuit. As I make it to the front door of the house, Penelope insists on following me outside in the storm. Thunder shakes the house, a low rumbling as I pull on my rain jacket. "You are free to follow, Alpha."

Opening the door, the wind hits me first, the rain following as I rush over to the waiting car. As I slide into back seat, Penelope is behind me once more, bucking herself in as I take in a deep breath. "You should be having your Beta do these things, or at least your new Gamma. You are not just an Alpha, Leala, but a symbol."

"I am an Alpha first."

"But now you serve a larger role. You are a symbol not just to your own pack, but to others as well."

Shaking my head, I watch as my house disappears from view. "If I am some symbol for others to look up to, then I should set a strong example." I can hear Penelope lightly scoff at my comment, drawing my eyes away from the window and to her. "Do you not think I can set a strong example?"

"I believe you can, but do not try and do so alone, Leala. You need the help of your advisors and other Alphas just as much as you need an army. If you become Queen and do not have a strong set of advisors, then you will crumble as will your kingdom."

"Then it is a shame I do not know who I can trust anymore." I look back outside, the tension rising within the car as I know what I have just said will set Penelope off. "Someone allowed for a break in our boarder control. Someone within this pack allowed my grandmother to be murdered and for Asger to send an assassin after me...and Oliver was ruled out a long time ago."

The redhead Alpha scoffs, pinching the bridge of her nose as I know she is trying hard to hold in her words. Just as a flash of lightening illuminates the sky, she speaks. "Be cautious, Leala. A strong alpha can bend their army to their will, for their army will respect them and also fear the storm which they can bring."

"I do not want my men to fear me. That is how my father ruled - by fear - and I want my pack members to respect me more than cower when they notice my presence."

"Yet you gave no mercy to those who rebelled within Evercrest? You do not want your mean to fear you, but they have seen your actions and heard of them. People begged for mercy and you fought canines with silver."

"Your own men challenged me when I did not wish for them to use silver," I remark, glancing to the alpha.

"You need to stand your ground. Pick your battles. By demanding men do not use silver bullets and then let them open fire, it sends mixed messages which can cause even your most loyal supporters to fear yo-"

"And what would you have me do, Penelope? Stand by and let my armies fight however they wish and do what they want to packs they conquer?"

Penelope shakes her head, looking away from me and back to the rain pouring down. "You are a symbol, Leala, not just of this war, but a symbol of vengeance not just for your parents - no - but for anyone done wrong by the broken crown of the past."

We leave our argument at that as we pull around to the pack house where Brie has gathered my men inside. Taking in a deep breath, I ready myself not just for the harsh weather outside, but the speech I will give soon. Penelope wishes me well as I step out of the car and rush towards the pack house as Cedric opens the door for me. Greeting me, my Beta's green eyes settle on me for a few quick seconds before Brie steps into the entrance. "Everyone is accounted for, Alpha," she announces, instructing me where to go to meet with my pack warriors.