Chapter 3: Evolution & Blues

Another day passes as you train Larvitar, beating up multiple Pokemon to improve his battling. You sort of feel bad for all those Shinx and Chatot. You can tell he's improving a lot, his defense and attack getting better every time he fights another Pokemon. You hope he's going to evolve soon. The two of you have travelled to route 218 to look for more Pokemon battle. It's a shame you have to beat up so many wild Pokemon, but at least they get to help Larvitar improve. It's better than having him eat a whole mountain to evolve. That'd raise more than a couple problems that you can't solve. You were going through a field of tall, weed-like grass with your pal when you run into an egg.

It was stuck in the middle of the road, perfectly still, sporting a mellow white shell with bright green spots covering it on the surface. Did someone leave this behind? Or did a Pokemon forget about their egg? You couldn't find anyone around, the field only filled with non-evolved Pokemon. Which means that they couldn't have made this egg. There's no trainer around, too. You look around vigilantly, trying to see if anyone was going to claim the little egg. You waited for a bit more, before deciding that a new team member doesn't sound too bad. You take the egg, and put it in your backpack. You've heard that eggs need to walk around with you in order to hatch properly, and you can't risk going around with an egg out in the open, so you kept it in your main bag pocket.

Larvitar notices you putting the egg in your bag, scratching his head and trying to figure out what exactly that thing is. You hand the egg down to him and let him see for himself. Still unable to figure it out, he tries ramming his head onto the egg, a mere inch away from stabbing it with his head rod- horn? You can't really figure out exactly what it is.

"Whoa there, pal. Careful with the egg, these don't come around too often. Who knows what's inside? Hmm... How about we try walking around a little more to see if the egg's about to hatch or not?"

Larvitar grunts in confusion and disagreement. Thought so. He's been walking around by himself all around the fields and forests, hoping to evolve soon. To his annoyance, no luck today, either. You've been going around for about 3 hours now, making sure not to knock out too many Pokemon lest the ecosystem gets messed up because of a fat little rock dino. One could only dream of a peaceful world if people decided that they should go all out in Pokemon hunting and grinding. Seeing the egg take the spot in your backpack makes Larvitar a little too content in head ramming the poor thing. You can already tell by the way he's walking several paces ahead of you despite having legs the size of green beans.

"Use Crunch!"

You yell for what feels like the millionth time. Sometimes, like Larvitar, you wonder if he's ever going to evolve. It's been years since you had him, and you've been training a lot more than a youngster Joey would. Larvitar obeys your commands, biting down on the poor Luxio that happened to cross your path. Though the main difference between Pokemon training and the Pokemon wilderness is that they never actually give it their all. Not to say that they're not putting their back into it, but it's more like a wrestling match compared to a gladiator ring. You haven't seen much of the latter outside of movies. The Luxio faints after a few more moments. Injured, but not killed, fortunately. You turn around to see Larvitar after checking on the egg again, your heart beating faster at what you're seeing.

A brilliant orange light envelops Larvitar, illuminating most of his silhouette and shifting his body structure into a starkly different shape. His form no longer visible and fluctuating between shapes, you hope he'll turn out even better. The to-be evolved Pokemon seemed nothing short of surprised and happy as you are. He looks at you, for the final time as a Larvitar, and lets out a joyful, satisfied cry before fully being swallowed by the light, evolving into a...

Pupa. He turned into a Pupitar. Literally just an "in progress" stage. You've got to be kidding. But while you're slightly disappointed by the transformation, to say that Pupitar is over the moon is an understatement. He wiggled as much as his rocky shell would allow him to, rolling around in the dirt contently until he was covered in blades of grass and dirt. And as much as you're personally bummed out by how the efforts paid off, you can't help but feel a strong sense of pride watching him enjoy his new achievement. Your newly evolved Pupitar also wants to show you something, gesturing you to watch.