4| Spurring Desire

Nora

"What happened after that?"

"I-I left." I looked down.

"You left?" Lydia repeated. "Seriously?!"

"What did you expect me to do?"

"Uh, have a conversation, perhaps? Get laid?" She said as if I was a child. "What did you say to him?"

"That my friend needed me?" I cringed. "Look, I got nervous and I was shocked and I couldn't form sentences, okay? That's not me, but it happened."

She sighed. "Well, how did he react?"

"I don't know. I turned around and I didn't look back."

She kept a straight face, but then broke into a smile and laughed. "You're such an idiot, Nora."

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Leave now, I've got work to do." I smiled in return.

She grabbed her purse from my table, blowing me a kiss and turning around, strutting away. I shook my head, clearing away thoughts of the sexy stranger, well, not a stranger anymore, and got to work.

Half an hour later I got a text from Jack, ordering me to go for lunch. I shook my head, biting back a smile at his concern. Pushing away all the files at the corner, I passed by Gracie and gave her a small, hesitant smile. She huffed and went inside my office to clean up the mess I'd made. I didn't like depending on people for any kind of work, but cleaning was something I just couldn't do.

A feeling of déjà vu crept into me when the elevator moved upwards instead of going down. My heartbeat paced, palms sweating. The door opened on the fiftieth floor, a wild and rich smell reaching my nose. I didn't need to look up to know who it was.

"Nora." I bit my lip when he said my name. He made those four letters sound so erotic that I wanted him to keep saying my name, over and over.

"H-hi." I cursed at myself in my brain, ordering myself to behave like the strong, independent woman I was.

"I was rather disappointed when you ran away the other night." He said, making me look up. "I'd hoped to have a conversation."

"Yeah well, uh, my friend needed me. I was her ride back home." I shrugged.

He nodded. "How was the rest of your weekend?"

"Good. Yours?"

His eyes darkened. I forced myself to not look away from his face as he licked his bottom lip and slowly said, "Distracting."

"Why?"

"My mind was preoccupied with something." Then his lips lifted up slightly. "Or, someone."

I felt hot. Maybe it was the dress, maybe it was the damn fucking elevator that was taking too long. But I felt extremely hot by his gaze. I didn't know whether I wanted to leave or push him against the wall and strip down.

After what felt like an eternity, the doors to the elevator opened. Fresh and cool air entered my nostrils, calming me down. His arm lightly brushed my side as he made a move to get out, causing a shock wave down my entire body.

"I'll see you soon, Nora. Very soon." His eyes froze on mine for a second, and then he was gone.

I made my way over to the restaurant Jack had texted me, dazed and in my thoughts. He pulled back my chair for me, ordering both of our orders when he saw I didn't have any intention of ordering for myself.

"Jack?" I aimlessly picked at the pieces of cabbage in my plate, not bothering to put them in my mouth.

"Yes?"