Chapter Twenty One

"Okay! So I'm not going to use my Blessing," Nathan declares, hands on his hips.

Raiden gives him a dry smile. "You're bragging about your physical prowess yet again, eh?" He touches the jewelry adorned on his left earlobe. "Answer my call, Cypress."

His silver cross earring flashes bright and transforms into a broadsword. A single thorny vine erupts from the rain-guard of his sword and spirals up the blade. He tightens his grip and takes a stance.

"Remember to focus," Nathan urges, raising his fists in a combat position. "Don't limit yourself. Don't be afraid to hurt me, and . . . don't expect me to treat you kindly either."

Raiden gives a rueful smile. "I got it." He takes a deep breath and turns off the divine power of his Blessing.

The thorny vine that encircled his broadsword's blade vanishes, leaving the pitch-black blade naked and menacing.

Nathan had asked him to train with him half an hour after their breakfast, per Raia's request, which didn't surprise him in the least. Raia is undoubtedly a better fighter than him. What he lacks that she possesses is concentration. During their fights with the demons, Raiden was nothing more than a burden to her. She had to suffer because of his carelessness. He did nothing but upset her.

But he can't dwell on that.

To keep up with her, he must improve himself. They will be a permanent team. That's why he can't make the same mistake twice. If he does, he will not only disappoint Raia and the Order, but he will also fail as a savior.

I already took my resolve: to save and destroy souls.

Raiden's golden eyes light up with a spark of fire as a sense of determination rises within him.

The goal of this training is to strengthen his concentration and focus. To achieve a promising result, he must eliminate the root of his weakness.

Raiden must learn to control his emotions.

"Also," Nathan adds, raising one finger. "Try summoning vines even if your blade is in use."

Raiden, of course, must also sharpen his Blessing.

"Sure thing," Raiden answers, and they pounce on each other.

***

Raiden drops his broadsword to the concrete floor and a loud metallic clank resounds throughout the room. He lets out a huge sigh and slumps to the ground, leaning his back against the sturdy wall. Sweat beads on his brow as he catches his breath. His white button-up shirt is drenched in perspiration.

Nathan succumbs to the same condition, collapsing to the ground. As he breathes heavily, his muscles flex and stretch, and sweat drips down his bare chest. He has bandages wrapped around his body in various places, and there's a fresh cut across his chest. Similarly, Nathan's powerful kicks and punches have left Raiden with bruises.

It is the third day of their training. They've been up for five hours today, with no breaks. Raiden had been dragging Nathan from his bed at two a.m. every day to train with him, and the half-asleep Nathan would groan until Raiden summoned his Blessing, at which point Nathan would finally wake up. Nonetheless, Raiden appreciates his friend's perseverance. Likewise, Nathan admires Raiden's determination.

"I guess training with me is a wise option," Nathan says, beaming. "I can tell you've improved."

Raiden cracks a grin. "Well, I wouldn't expect anything less from such a promising Apostle."