twenty-two.

chapter twenty-two

SPRING IN MIAMI IS marked by an influx of vacationers and warm breezes from the south

SPRING IN MIAMI IS marked by an influx of vacationers and warm breezes from the south. Irena leaves her windows open overnight until her apartment smells of the sweet ocean air and excitement over the approach of her favorite season.

She's fallen into a vague routine as March comes to an end. She wakes, often late in the day, then moves to her laptop. Against everything she'd promised herself, Irena is working extensively with a streamer on designs for his series of projects. And not just any streamer. The very one that was the beginning of downfall of her hidden identity on the internet. Not his fault, really. Irena doesn't blame him.

After all, it's because of Karl Jacobs being extremely generous with his payments that she's been able to order a PC for herself. Though, she let Dream pick the entire thing out. All she did was supply her credit card for the transaction. As far as she knows, it's being custom built at that very moment and shipped in a few days time. She's not sure how she'll cram such a large set-up into her apartment, but she'll make it work. Besides, it's an excuse for Clay to visit. He has to help her set it up.

Irena, rather grudgingly, has been watching Karl's streams as of late. Only the ones where her work is featured as part the major event, anyway. Tales from the SMP, some of which Clay is in. She can't even properly enjoy his attempts at acting. The entire stream, she's working. Behind the scenes, making sure the coding and graphics run smoothly without any issues. Her fingers fly across the keyboard as she interacts with the other team members Karl has recruited.

Karl isn't the only friend of Clay's she's met. There was a late-night voice call with Badboyhalo that went well up until she called Nick a "dickhead" and the meeting was ruined. She's also met Antfrost and his boyfriend Redvelvet, and the chaotic figure of Quackity. That was one wildcard she didn't expect to get along with. Alex was one hell of an entertainer, but he was also incredibly smart. She almost liked talking to him as much as George.

Irena turns from her laptop as her phone buzzes. It's early for Clay to be up, but she's been expecting this call all day.

"Is he there?"

"We're waiting for him!" It's Nick, shouting into the phone like it's his lifeline. She hears the telltale honking of horns and chaos of Orlando's airport.

"Clay's driving?"

"Yes!"

Irena chuckles at his excitement. This is the newest thing she has to get used to. Nick arrived in Florida one night a few weeks ago with all his things and hasn't left since. And now, George is here too. Just for a visit. Hopefully. She's not sure she could handle the rampant damage three long-distance friends would cause if they were all roommates, even from three hours away in Miami. The collateral damage would be like nuclear fallout.

"Well, don't waste your time on the phone with me then. Just call me when you're back home, alright? And tell Clay I have some big news for him."

"Ok. Bye I!" Nick shouts again. Irena winces, feeling his enthusiasm punch through the phone. She's almost too excited herself to go back to working on the latest project. But Karl is waiting, sitting in a voice call expectantly. She clicks into the server and shares her screen. She's not nervous to be showing what she has done before the panel of creators and mods. She's done it before. Besides, Karl owes her.