sixteen: the grievers

I am so sorry with what was happening earlier haha, i have no idea why random chapters were posted but with nothing in it. It makes no sense to me lol but anyways, here's the new chapter. I'll have an authors note at the bottom but i just wanted to make that clear up here haha. Enjoy x

We hadn't been running long, five minutes maybe, as we reached where Thomas intended for us to stop. He came to a holt as he reached a corner, pulling his arm out to the side to stop us from running ahead.

He peered cautiously round the wall, looking down the corridor and planting his eyes on something that made his brown eyes widen. My bet's on a Griever.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked, gulping at the thought as the others started to look between each other, fear etched on their faces.

"Yeah..." Thomas said, reluctantly turning back to face the scared group he had huddled behind him. None of them looked even a little bit confident or determined. They all looked mortified. Even Minho, who, and I don't know if he does this on purpose, always carries around a tough exterior.

"Shit." Minho spat, sounding annoyed that we had to face one. He didn't really think we were going to get out of this scott free, did he?

I stood at the front, shoulder to shoulder with Newt, Minho, Thomas and Teresa as we all exchanged glances, pondering our next moves.

"You take this Chuck." The boy said, as he handed him the part they retrieved from the Griever. W.C.K.D was still plastered over it; I kind of hoped I had just imagined the lettering, but that didn't seem to be the case as he held it in his hands.

"Stay behind us." He added, a protective overtone flowing through his words. Chuck looked nervous once again, which Teresa immediately picked up on. "It's okay. Just stick with me." She pulled her hands up behind her head as she began to pull her hair into a low ponytail, therefore bringing her hair out of her face.

Thomas turned back to the group, shaking slightly as he held the wooden spear in his hands. "Once we're through, it will activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together...we get through this." He tried not to hesitate, sound calm and strong through his speech, but he was clearly bricking it inside. "We get out now...or we die trying."

Wouldn't exactly say it was inspirational, but it certainly did the trick. His words began to rile people up from the back and as if a switch had been flicked on, they all looked suddenly energised. Ready to fight.

"Ready? All right. Let's go!"

We raised our weapons and hurdled around the corner, catching the Griever's attention immediately. It looked just as hideous as I remember. If not more. Lots of people screamed, some out of fear I'm sure, but most seemed to be due to adrenaline, due to the excitement coursing through their veins, not sure if the outcome will be survival or death. Both lingered around the corner, and both threatened something no one wanted.

We charged at the creature as it swerved on it's hind legs and sprinted at us with immense speed. But no one slowed. We all stayed as one, running just as fast without hesitation. I was pleasantly surprised, as I had already convinced myself that some would hesitate or cower behind, but none did. They all stood their ground, so angry at whoever was responsible for all this, I'm sure.

It didn't take long for us to be face to face with the monster that has killed members of the Glade. Members of their family. 

Everyone attacked at once, prompting the beast to shriek and lash out. Luckily missing everyone as people ducked and moved out of its path. Thomas lunged his spear into its side, piercing its skin with the blade as he swiftly removed it to strike again.

It looked more enraged than before as it moved its arm to thrash at no one in particular. Again, it hit no one, however did end up knocking the key from Chuck's hand.

"The key!" He yelled as he ran after it. It rolled consistently against the stone floor, threatening to fall over the ledge as it did so. Luckily, he caught it just in case as Teresa caught up to him, pulling the boy away from the edge. "Pull me up, pull me up!" He shrieked, as they both dashed over to the group again, desperately trying to divert our attention back to them.

I turned my head slightly, still mindlessly stabbing at the monster as I noticed two other Griever's slowly climb over the edge, stalking their way towards us. "Newt..." I said quietly, panic lacing my voice as he turned to me and noticed the direction my head was pointed towards. His concerned look turned into horror as his eyes locked onto the figures approaching.

"Shit. Thomas!" He shrieked, desperately trying to get the boy's attention as finally, we pushed the other Griever to the edge as it toppled over the ledge, hopefully to its death.

Chuck and Teresa re-joined the group again as, without even saying anything, the crowd dispersed into two groups. Attacking each one with as much power as possible.

One boy was swiped out from under his feet and thrown over the ledge. I didn't even know his name. There was no way to save him. He was gone in a flash.

No time to mourn, as we had to continue to fight.

With the key securely stored in their grasp, Teresa led Chuck over to the wall, which opened almost immediately, running through as quickly as it opened. "Teresa, go!" Thomas yelled as the other walls behind it began to open too, leading them both to a key pad.

They bolted through at once, as we all turned back to continue to fight. One boy charged ahead, aiming at a Griever's head as he did so, but sadly misses, as he is thrown backwards over the edge.

"Thomas! There's a code! Eight numbers!" Teresa yelled back to him, but he didn't look confused at all. Instead, turned towards Minho. "Hey, Minho! What's the sequence!?"

It made no sense to me, but I had no time to ask as I stabbed the Griever in front of me in the eye. Yet, while it still looked unbothered and unharmed, it shrieked out in pain, piercing my ears with its cry.

Minho knew exactly what the boy meant. "Seven! One! Five! Two! Six! Four!" I could hear Teresa punching in the numbers behind me, a strange noise escaping every time she did.

"Heads up!" Someone yelled to my right as another Griever fell through the ceiling, landing on Minho. 

"Minho!" Thomas screamed as everyone began to panic again.

Before anyone else could do anything, Jeff charged at the beast, landing his spear right in the Griever's face, however, was still unsuccessful as another one grabbed hold of him. "Jeff!" Someone else yelled, but it was too late. It's always too late.

My heart hurt for Jeff. He was kind. He deserved better.

Minho hastily pulled himself off the floor and began shouting numbers again. No time to waste.

"Six! Four! Eight!" Three! You got it?"

"Almost there!" Thomas wailed, as the crowd continued to fight the creatures off.

We all huddled back in between the walls as Teresa put in the final numbers. The key pad flashed green as the walls at the far end began to close, trapping and squishing the furthest away Grievers. The remaining one charged at us, as Thomas brought the spear up, throwing it at the Griever. It looked shocked as it took a slight step back, before finally being squished by the wall.

We stared at it closely for a second, furrowing our brows as we watched the thing ooze out.

Before it all went dark. 

-

A/N: As i said before, apologies for whatever was going on there, still trying to sort it out but i think i've got a handle on it :)

Anyway, thank you all so much for 500+ reads! Wtf that's so insane i just thanked you for 400 in the previous chapter!! It genuinely means so much to me so thank you all for reading and for all the favourites <33333