prologue

S U M M E R  2 0 0 0

──・・𖥸・・──

"Hudson! Slow down, baby. The water's not going anywhere."

Hudson whipped around, giving me a toothy grin. "Hurry up! You and Dad are taking forever!"

"Calm down, bud. Mom can only move so fast right now," Kei glanced at my swollen stomach before he approached Hudson. "How about you find a spot for us to set up?"

"Okay!" Hudson sped down the beach, finding a place not too far away from the water.

"You're so good with him," I murmured.

"Not as good as you," he held my hand as we walked over to the spot Hudson had picked out.

Hudson ran up to his father, eagerly grabbing his free hand. "Can we look for seashells?"

Kei smiled down at him. "Of course we can."

He crouched down and Hudson scrambled onto his back. While the two walked up and down the shoreline, picking up anything they could find, I laid out our beach towel and propped up the umbrella.

My attention was taken up mostly by watching the two bond, but every once in a while I'd look down and watch the gentle movements of my stomach. Damon was restless, but I didn't blame him. He got it from me.

I was only drawn back into reality when I heard a tiny, shrill cry. A small girl couldn't have been more than two, with hair the color of dark oak, standing by the water. The poor girl sobbed and sobbed, her cries only growing. I looked around but couldn't find her parents. Maybe she'd gotten lost.

Hudson seemingly noticed the girl and walked over, a shell clutched in his little hands. I couldn't hear what he said, but the girl stopped crying momentarily. She looked at him, her brown eyes rimmed with red from where she'd been rubbing her face. He looked down at the shell in his hands and then at the girl once more.

Hudson held it out to her, and after a moment's hesitation, she took it. The girl turned it over in her chubby hands, then hugged him to the best of her ability. Hudson's face was alight with joy and he looked at me. I was beaming with pride.

It was then that I knew my beautiful boy had been born with a heart of gold. 

──・・𖥸・・──