9

There are no secrets that time does not reveal.

- Jean Racine

-

Edward headed back into the party several minutes later, knowing how Esme would want at least one dance before the end of the night. Though, to his dismay, the Denali's had other plans.

He was lost in the mob of humans and immortals as everyone crowded the dance floor, his confusion subsiding as the clamorous thoughts from everyone around him explained what was going on.

Dancing with strangers? This'll be interesting.

Maybe I'll be paired up with someone attractive for once.

I'm pretty sure I overheard someone explaining that we just get paired up with someone random for each song? I wonder how that works...

Oh, I hope I get paired with Edward!

His head snapped and around towards the love struck voice of Tanya's familiar mind, meeting her amber eyes as she seductively batted her eyelashes his way.

He gave her a polite smile, then turning back around again, not wanting to give her any false hope.

He groaned internally, silently cursing himself for not staying out on the balcony. If he had known that they'd be doing a stupid strangers paired up with strangers dance, he would've stayed as far away from that nonsense as possible. Now, he'd have to dance for God knows how long with some random person, having to make awkward small talk about things he couldn't care less about.

Everyone got situated on the crowded floor, finding unfamiliar faces of people to dance with, though Edward still had yet to find a partner.

'Maybe it is my lucky day after all' he thought to himself smugly, thinking about how he might be able to escape unnoticed since no one had taken it upon themself to ask him to dance.

He started to back up slowly and discreetly, when his back was met with a firm surface.

He spun around quickly to apologize to the person he had accidentally bumped into, but his mouth fell silent as he realized who it was.

Aris too had not found a partner, and she had also had the same mindset as Edward, thinking that maybe she'd be able to secretly get away from this stupid dance.

They glared at each other for a minute, before several things happened at once.

The music started to play

The crowded floor started to move in every which way as everyone started to waltz.

Since the floor was so crowded, left with little room for people to be cautious, Aris was knocked forward by someone running into her from behind.

She flew forward into Edward's arms, him effortlessly catching her before she could fall.

"Thanks." She muttered, starting to pull her arms away from his grasp.

To her surprise however, in one swift motion, Edward had laced one of his hands with hers, his other one finding her waist and pulling her close.

She looked at him shocked, her eyes filled with burning questions.

Aris didn't know whether to object to this, or to question him, but before she could do either, Edward spoke.

"Last I checked, this is a partnered dance, and neither of us have one of those."