oo3. 𝘜𝘕𝘍𝘖𝘙𝘎𝘖𝘛𝘛𝘌𝘕 𝘉𝘌𝘎𝘐𝘕𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘎𝘚

GOTHAM CITY, NEW JERSEY2008

2008

( TW ⚠️ assault and violence )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

LIVING IN THE STREETS TAUGHT Estela to survive with the help of three crucial rules: a) never sleep in the same alley twice, b) keep your fists ready at all times, and c) always trust your gut; you can never be sure if you think someone is following you or not. Better safe than sorry.

For the past year, those rules along with her wits were the only things she carried, nothing more and nothing less.

It had been hard to adjust at first, but it wasn't like Estela had much of a choice. Her father was dead—murdered by a someone who had broken into their home—and the last thing he told her was, 'Run. Run away, Stela, and do not use the last name Fares anymore.'

And so she did. Except, she didn't really get that far.

Because, let's face it—with no money where else can Estela go? She was already legal, meaning that orphanages or child support services were deemed useless to her. Jobs were already hard to come by nowadays, much more so when you're homeless and dirty.

Yet despite it all, Estela would never ever go back to her old house in one of the worst neighborhoods in Gotham. Not for money, not for answers, nothing. Not after what happened.

Shelters were her best friend when it came to food, as well the back alley of some high-end restaurants. Hotels were there for when she needed the bathroom, all it took was sneaking around and trying not get caught. Luckily, she picked on that fast enough, especially when she needed to steal some new clothes off flea markets on the street.

The guilt of stealing, Estela realized, disintegrated quickly to replace survival instincts sooner than she expected.

In a way, she kind of got used to it—as fucked up as it may seem. But at the same time, it changed her; made her cockier than she dared to be. Gone was the sweet girl who lived with her loving parents. She won't survive out on the streets with a weak heart like that.

In Estela's mind, dirty alleyways and abandoned buildings were her domain now; her playground.

Of course, it wasn't like she literally treated it as her playground. She only plans crazy stunts when she's desperate.

Most of the time, she gets away with half of the shit she pulls. It was easy, since Gotham was still under the fist of a society that viewed women as weak and innocent. All it took was for Estela to fake-cry and even the smartest crook wouldn't think twice to check if their wallet was missing.