I.X

A/N: BUCKLE IN Y'ALL

A/N: BUCKLE IN Y'ALL. It's a long one. I have two songs this time: "killer + the sound" by Phoebe Bridgers & "illicit affairs" by Taylor Swift (shoutout to the namesake of this part of the fic)

"Just a reminder! Your final exam will be this Monday, proctored in this room, by me," Hotch paces at the front of the classroom, but your mind is elsewhere. You watch him, a smile growing on your face as he lectures the whole class. It's finally your birthday, and Hotch set aside some time late in the day to spend with you. He also mentioned a small surprise and though you're not usually one to get excited about gifts or surprises, you can't wait to see what he has planned.

"Miss Y/L/N. Focus," Hotch calls out your name and you sit up straighter, attempting to suppress the grin on your face. "I won't turn away anyone who shows up late for the exam, but you won't be given the full time. Do I make myself clear? This exam starts at 11:00 sharp. I can promise you will need the full three hours to complete the whole thing. So I mean it. Don't be late."

"That seems pretty relaxed for Professor Hard-Ass," Charlie leans forward to mumble into your ear and you bite your lip, suppressing a laugh. You want to tell him to thank you since you're the one who convinced Hotch that turning people away is cruel. At least let them try to finish the exam. A 50% is better than an actual zero.

Hotch shoots both you and Charlie a side glance which quickly shuts you up. You struggle to stifle small giggles and see Katie shaking her head off to the side, "You're both children."

"You can't be mean to me on my birthday," You protest under your breath, hoping Hotch doesn't see you two goofing off. It's your birthday and the last day of classes, he can ease up on you. He can cut the hard-ass, bullshit act for one class. It's established that you're not his favorite. Well, at least that's what the class has been thoroughly convinced is the truth. You know, or at least you hope, the truth is the opposite. The semester has been a whirlwind from start to finish. Although you're not quite at the end of it, you've been fundamentally changed since it started.

"Yeah? Watch me," Katie taunts, "Can't let you get a big ego, Einstein."

"Assholes," You mutter under your breath, faking anger at your friends, but the large smile never leaves your face.

"I wish you all the best of luck. It was a pleasure to have all of you in this class," Hotch nods putting down the chalk from the board where he's written his contact information, "Reach out to me if you require anything like a recommendation letter. No promises I'll do it though." He teases and flashes a cheeky smile to the whole class, "Class dismissed."

As you start to pack up your stuff, your attention flits over to Hotch a few times as a swarm of students begin to crowd his desk, already shoving cover letters and resumes and job applications in his face. You shoot him a small apologetic look and mouth a 'sorry' before Katie and Charlie hook their arms in yours, pulling you to the door.