||Twenty Four||-› Hugh Greenwood

QOTD; What are your views on cancel culture?

-

❝The common is unusually calm--they captured the storm.❞

• James Tate.

Jealous, watching and plotting

Jealous, watching and plotting...?

Worker's Quarter ꨄ︎

Julius was buoyant than he has ever been in Wellington by morning, enamoured with his love for Reuben. Rebekah had noticed how he did everything with a beaming smile playing on his lips.

Madame Marian had stared at Julius in what he believed was growing resentment. She did not ask him anything about his time spent with master Reuben, but Julius knew she knew about the dance——do not ask him how he knew it, for he just knew. Marian had barely spoken to him all morning, in fact, she all but ignored his existence. Julius was holding onto faith that the woman who he now saw as a form of a mother figure to him, wouldn't loath him forever for his disobedience.

"There are to be new workers joining us by afternoon, I heard Madame Marian and Mr Bertley talk of it," Bartholomew, the rangy gardener informed the other workers.

Whenever there was rumour of new workers coming to join the manor, the servants could not help but participate in gossip, conjectures and what they would defend as harmless scheming. It was something to bring interest to their rather humdrum duties. Also, It was not as if it was a crime for one to plot ways to sway naive newcomers into doing chores that weren't theirs to do. Julius had been a victim at his arrival, being ruse into doing duties that weren't assigned to him. For that reason, and with being the well-bred man he was, Julius promised himself that he wouldn't indulge in such devious matters.

"The dormitories are overcrowding, why do they continue to add more workers when those of us here hardly fit into the dormitories," Constance, one of the many dusting maids complained.

"Aah, but you see, it isn't our place to disagree, is it, Constance?" Eliza easily offered.

"Are you paying attention to any words being spoken?" Rebekah who was seated beside Julius, whispered as she nudged at his arm. Julius was entirely engrossed in the journal he was scribbling into.

"Ye...yes," Julius absentmindedly slurred, eyes still fixed on the journal.

Rebekah briefly observed her friend with a curious gaze "Alright, spit it out."

"Spit what out?" confused, Julius slowly raised his head, staring straight into Rebekah's brown eyes.

"Why do you look so smitten? You've been distracted the whole of today."

Julius smile dropped and he squirmed a bit where he sat.

"Do not tell me it has to do with your imaginary wealthy lover from your village," she added before Julius could think of a lie.