[5] - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴

THE LAST FEW WEEKS went by. The energy at the compound wasn't as it usually was.

Y/N walked down the hallway and stopped by Wanda's room. She had been watching the news broadcast, people basically referring to her as a weapon of mass destruction. Y/N didn't like that.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?" The man spoke on the television. Y/N grabbed the remote from the counter and shut it off.

"It's my fault." Wanda kept looking at the television, knowing Y/N was at the door.

"That's not true."

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific."

"We didn't know Rumlow had a bomb vest." Y/N started walking towards her, "Him trying to kill himself and Steve were the last things we expected."

Steve also told him that he felt bad, since he should've seen the bomb vest before. Once Rumlow mentioned Bucky, all of his logic went out of the window.

Y/N sat down on the bed beside Wanda, "Just please, don't blame yourself."

"How can't I? Do you hear what they're saying?"

"You did what you needed to do."

Y/N sighed, and looked down. Wanda did as well.

"This job, we try to save as many people as we can." He said, looking at Wanda who turned her head to face him.

"Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that then next time...maybe nobody gets saved."

Wanda nodded, and Y/N held out his hand. She held it, fingers interlocking.

"Just know you're not alone. I'll always be by your side." He added.

Wanda rested her head on his shoulder. Y/N moved the hair from her face and tucked it behind her ear.

Out of nowhere, Vision phased through the wall and stumbled upon the two.

"Jesus, Vis. You know doors exist, right?" Y/N chuckled.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..."

Vision knew that explanation wasn't going to make sense, so he simply changed the subject.

"Captain Rogers wanted to let you know that Mr. Stark has arrived."

"Thank you. We'll be right down." Y/N replied.

"I'll use the door." Vision started going towards it, but turned around to add something, "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"Do we know who it is?" Wanda asked.

"The Secretary of State."

• • •

THADDEUS ROSS STOOD in front of the table. The Avengers sat down in the conference room, hearing what the Secretary of State had to say. Tony Stark sat in a seat behind them.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Ross started mimicking his golf swing, "Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I had found something that 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

The team continued to listen.

"The world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes there are some that would prefer the word...vigilantes."