||Here||

"No, thank you." I politely declined as a young man offered me a plate of assorted meat.

"You don't eat meat."

I jumped slightly at the deep voice, noting that it was the King who had spoken. He'd only been watching me with inquisitive eyes for the short while I'd been there, silently observing me as if he was trying to figure me out. His analytical behaviour reminded me of a certain someone.

I instinctually shook my head but then blushed and thought better of it. 

"N-no, You Majesty."

I looked down soon after, as his aged eyes seemed to stare even more intensely than before.

"And why is that?"

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, feeling singled out in this room of intimidating people. I twisted my fingers and contemplated a reply; I hope he doesn't think I'm rude, I just have trouble holding eye contact with people of authority.

"I-um, I-I like animals, they're my friends..." I trailed off, but my eyes widened and I looked up when I realized what my words insinuated. "B-but I'm sure you l-like animals too! I-I didn't mean to suggest t-that you didn't, I-um I—"

"Rose."

A sharp clip from mama had me sucking my lips inwards and dropping my eyes to refocus on the colourful salad on my plate.

My ear twitched as I heard the King hum, seeming to ponder my response.

"It's strange, isn't it? How such demure and sensitive creatures pair so perfectly with our kind. Or perhaps it's just that simple. You balance out the rage, the instability—tame our daemons."

I nibbled on a purple leaf as he spoke, knowing that if I looked up everybody would be staring at me.

I know that Prince Ronan told his father we were mates, I know that he thinks we're intended. But why did I feel like he was talking about something else? or rather someone else.

No.

That couldn't be possible. Because what kind of father would knowingly pair their son's mate with their other son?

My thoughts were broken by a rough hand on my thigh and I lurched forward in shock.

My once settled heart was now making a ruckus in my chest, pounding relentlessly as I stared at the hand that was too close to my most intimate area.

"You're right father, it is strange. We truly are one of a kind, aren't we Rose?"

I stayed silent, still watching the hand that was now caressing my dark skin; my stomach churned dangerously, I felt like I was going to be sick.

Prince Ronan chuckled, not seeming to be bothered by my lack of response. "We're going to be a powerful couple, father. All Faerie pairings in our bloodline were revered be our people. When do you think—"

I stood up from my chair abruptly, my hands clammy and my throat dry from my rapid breathing.

I stared at Prince Ronan in fear; the kind that consumes you, anchoring you in place while it eats at your bones.

Feeling his fingers brush against my panty line made me realize just how powerless I am when I'm around these people. No one would listen to me, no one cared.

I appeared to be just a pawn in their power seeking game.

"I-I need to u-use the washroom." I stammered.

I didn't even wait for a response before I ducked out the room, sniffling as I withheld tears.

I rubbed incessantly at my thigh, trying to rid my skin of the burning feeling—it was wrong. Everything about this was just so wrong.