59. forgiveness and parties

After leaving David and Greer, I found Bellamy sitting in the tavern. But much to my chagrin, he wasn't alone. 

I contemplated turning around and leaving, but Bellamy caught sight of me before I had a chance to do so. 

He waved me over, Clarke turning to look at me with a small smile as I approached. Letting out a quiet curse, I joined the two of them. 

"Avery." Clarke greeted, "Just the person I was hoping to find."

I gave Bellamy a sidelong glance before looking back to Clarke. "What for?"

One look from Clarke sent Bellamy to his feet. "I'm going to go get a drink." he mumbled. "I'll be right back."

He ignored the look I gave him, pleading for him not to leave me alone with Clarke. I decided I would give him hell for that later. 

Once Bellamy was gone, I looked awkwardly to Clarke, waiting for her to say something. She watched me for a moment, waiting for me to sit down.

"Right." I muttered, lowering myself into the seat Bellamy had just left vacant. "Let's get on with it then."

Clarke's face twitched slightly at my hostility, it was clear she had expected this to be easier. "Avery, I-"

She cut herself off, trying to find the right words to say. How do you apologize for betraying someone over and over again?

"-Sorry isn't enough." She finally announced. "I have so many things to apologize to you for, and I know one little word isn't going to fix what I've done."

I shifted in my seat, my eyes locked on her. I couldn't deny the sincerity both in her tone and her expression. 

"I've betrayed you, hurt you, hurt the people you love...and I hate myself for that everyday." she searched my face for a moment.  "I've always tried to do what I thought was right, and I know now that sometimes I'm wrong. I'm not perfect, and I know I've made so many mistakes."

"Too many to count." I muttered. 

She nodded, not offended by my comment. "You're right. And I think I've hurt you the most out of everyone..."

I thought about her words, and realized that maybe she was right. Clarke had killed my brother, locked me up, left me to die, left my fiancé to die, betrayed my best friends. I had forgiven her for most of it and understood why she did what she did. But her actions as of late stung especially hard. 

"You're my family, Avery. And I know that I haven't always shown how much I appreciate you, but I do...more than I know."

A sad sigh fell from her lips as she looked over to Bellamy. He was watching us in anticipation, causing me to roll my eyes. 

"I'm not asking you to forget everything I've done." Clarke declared. "But I'm just asking for a chance to be your friend again."

I stared at her for a long moment, everything she had done to us flashing through my mind. I couldn't forget everything she had done, that was for sure...but could I try to move on?

"Okay." I finally answered, my voice hovering low. "But you have to prove your words Clarke, no more empty apologies."

Her face let up as she nodded. "Yes." she promised. "I want to do better."

"Good." I announced, clearing my throat as I stood up. "I'm going to let Bellamy know he can stop pretending not to eavesdrop on us now."

"Wait," Clarke called, her hand reaching out to grab onto my wrist. "There's a party in the palace tonight...you should come."