6: The best night of the year.

Y/n's pov

"Trick or treat!!!" We all yelled holding up our pillow cases as a lady opened her door.

"What cute little exterminators!" The lady said.

Our smiles dropped and we shoved our hands into the bowl of candy.

Exterminators? Seriously?

We thanked her and kept walking.

"If I get another three musketeers I'm gonna kill myself!" Lucas exclaimed while rummaging through his pillow case.

"What's so bad about three musketeers?" I asked, pulling one out of its wrapper and splitting it, giving half to Dustin.

"What's so bad about three musketeers?!" Lucas asked in disbelief as Dustin ate his half of the candy bar.

"No one likes three musketeers." Mike said.

"Yeah, it's just nougat." Will agreed.

"Woah, just nougat?! Just nougat? It is top three for me." Dustin said.

"Top three?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah, totally!" I said.

"Top three!" Dustin said, nodding his head.

"Oh god, give me a break." Mike said.

"Seriously, I can just eat a whole bowl of nougat." I said.

"Yeah, straight up." Dustin said.

Just then I saw Max walk up behind us and put on a Michael Myers mask, then put a finger to her lips, signalling for me to not say she was there.

"Hey guys, what if we got kidnapped. Like, what if some psycho kidnapped us." I said.

"That's not gonna happe-" Lucas started.

Then, Max jumped in front of all of us, scaring the boys to death.

They all screamed like little girls, making Max and I double over in laughter.

Max pulled off her mask, still laughing.

I gave her a high five, which she returned, smiling.

"Holy shit! You should have seen the looks on your faces!! And you!" She pointed at Lucas.
"Who screams like that? You sound like a little girl!"

Max started to walk ahead of us but stopped after taking a few steps.

"You guys coming? I heard we should hit up loch Nora. That's where all the rich people live, right?" Max said as she turned back to face us.

Mission accomplished.

"Yeah, they can be assholes but they're suck ups and usually hand out full-sizes." I confirmed, catching up to her as we linked arms.

Lucas and Dustin ran up to us excitedly but Mike and Will walked a bit behind us.

I could tell Mike wasn't happy about Max.

We ran up to the next house.

——

"Another full size. Like, seriously, rich people are such suckers." Dustin said.

"Wait. You're not rich, right?" He asked quickly.

Max chuckled. "No, I live up Old Cherry Road." She said.

"Oh." Dustin said.

"No, it's fine. I mean, the street's good for skating." She said.

Dustin hummed. "Yeah, totally tubular."

Max and I looked at him weirdly.

"What? Did I say that right?" He asked. "Or is it like, tubular."

"Dustin, not all people from California talk like that." I said, max and I snickering.

"It's-it's like, totally tubular!" Lucas imitated a surfer dude, ignoring me.

"Toootally tuuuubular!" Dustin mocked.

"What a gnarly wave, dude!" Lucas did the surfer sign.

"Totally bodacious, bro!" Dustin said.

"Stop, my ears are hurting." Max laughed.

"My eyes are hurting." I laughed with her, gesturing to Lucas's weird 'surfer' movements.

We continued talking and laughing as we walked up the path, Mike and Will still behind us.

When we got to the next doorstep, Will was no where to be found.

"...Where's Will?" Mike asked.

"Will?" Mike said.

Mike ran behind a small brick wall where Will was, sobbing silently and hugging his knees to his chest.

"Will?! A-are you hurt?" Mike asked.

"Holy shit!" Dustin and I said loudly in unison as we followed Mike.

Max shot me a confused and concerned look but I returned her look in worry.

"I'm gonna get you home, okay?" Mike helped him up. "I'm gonna get you home, don't worry."

"Let me help-" Dustin started, trying to help Will.

"No, I got him. You guys keep trick or treating. I'm bored anyways," Mike said bluntly as he and Will stood up and walked back in the direction of his house.

"What's wrong with him?" Max asked.

Lucas, Dustin and I didn't answer, we only stared at Will and Mike's retreating figures.
——

It was around 8:57 when Dustin and I biked home together after a successful night, we had quite the candy stash.

Lucas, Dustin and I had gotten to know Max better and she was actually really nice, funny and cool.

I parked my bike in my driveway when I heard Dustin yell, "Holy shit!" From his driveway.

"You okay over there, Dust?" I asked, concerned.

"Y/n, you gotta come check this out!" Dustin exclaimed.

I jogged over to his driveway and found him peering into a garbage can.

I looked in as well to see a green slimy creature with a yellow pattern on its butt.

"What the hell." I breathed.

"Uh," Dustin shook his head. "Do you want to sleep over?" He asked, looking utterly confused.

"Sure, one minute." I said, jogging back to my own house.

I walked in the door.

"Hi, honey. How was trick or treating?" My mom asked, reading a magazine in the living room.

"Um, good! I'm gonna sleep over at Dustin's, is that alright?" I asked.

"Sure, just don't stay up too late, you have school tomorrow." My mom said.

"Okay, thanks mom!" I said, running up the stairs, I sprinted into my room, and speed packed an overnight bag, along with my backpack and finished homework.

"Bye, love you!" My mom called as I walked out the door.

"Love you too!" I called back.

I then jogged back over to Dustin, who was still inspecting the foreign creature.

"She said yes?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, so uh, what now?" I asked.

"We should take it inside." Dustin confirmed.

"How, exactly?" I asked with my eyebrows raised.

He held up his ghostbusters trap.

Well, shit.

What did we just get ourselves into.

Word count: 830