Chapter Twelve

Sophie knew Keefe had fallen asleep. And she knew she should have too, but she could stop thinking about her family. Could it be possible they were still alive.

Beep.

Sophie shook her head. No. Don't let yourself be alive something you know isn't true.

It was late. Or very early. Either way, Sophie still couldn't sleep. The only thing keeping her from getting up and doing something was Keefe's arms wrapped around her waist tightly. Although she also wasn't complaining, against Keefe's chest was also an extremely comfortable place to be.

Plus she didn't have Ella. Or any blankets. Ella was her stuffed animal she had ever since she was little. It always helped her sleep. But Ella's back at her old house.

Sophie sighed, shifting slightly. How much longer until breakfast? Sophie regretted not eating dinner.

She laid there for another couple hours before, finally she saw the sun start to rise. Her eyes were tried now, but she still stayed awake.

Voices. Who the heck is up up at sunrise? Oh wait-

Sophie carefully peeled Keefe's arms off of her before sneaking into the hall.

"We don't know if it's them. It's a very slim chance, besides, it doesn't mater now."

"But you can see her! It's obviously her in there, and you know it. We should ask her about it."

"Absolutely not, you will not say a word to her. If this is true, then she can't know. Not now. Do not mention this to anyone, Fitz."

What? Sophie realized just in time that they were done with the conversation and ran back to her room right as someone stepped out.

She slid against the door, taking a deep breath.

"So where did you go?"

Sophie almost screamed. She did jump and chuck a random pillow on the floor at the figure. Oh right, Keefe is here.

"Jeez, you scared me." Sophie put a hand over her now pounding heart.

"Did you sleep at all last night or did you just wait until sunrise to sneak out?" Keefe raised an eyebrow, making Sophie wonder how long he really had been awake.

"I wasn't planning on leaving. I just heard..." Should she tell him? It wasn't really her secret to share. Well you should still tell him. You have too many secrets.

"Oh so you were eavesdropping?" Keefe raised his eyebrow higher.

"You're impossible." Sophie grumbled, flopping back onto the bed.

"And you love it." Keefe smirked as Sophie threw another pillow blindly and missed.

"What time is it?" Sophie groaned.

"Only like, five thirty I think? Still enough time for you to get some sleep."

"But I'm not even tired."

"I think we both know that's a lie." Keefe rolled over on his stomach so he was side by side with Sophie.

"Just take a small nap. I'll wake you up for breakfast." Sophie shoved her head in a pillow.

"I can't." The pillow muffled her voice so he couldn't hear her.

"What was that? Couldn't hear you."

Sophie took her head out of the pillow, facing the opposite side that Keefe was on.

"I can't." She mumbled again, a bit clearer.