Chapter Nine

J A K E
• • •

        For the first time in God-knows-how-long, I woke up with a smile on my face.

It sure didn't go unnoticed by Ashton when I walked out of my room, but I couldn't even be annoyed at him as he teased me about my 'date going well'. Even as I nicely flipped him off, I couldn't get the small smile off my face.

I wondered if Connor's night went as well as mine had, and as I drove, I thought back to it.

[flashback]

"Okay okay, you were totally right about these apples," she told me, and I just nodded smugly as if to say 'told you so'. The Flynns always cut their caramel apples into eight slices when they'd give them out to people, so we were easily able to share the one we bought.

"So you've really never come here?" I asked her when we sat down on a random bench.

"Never," she shook her head. "Did your parents take you every year when you were little?" She asked casually, but my breath caught a little in my chest. I tried to make it unnoticeable by looking down and grabbing another piece.

"No, uh, I came here with my brother a lot. My sister a few times, too," I told her, and she nodded.

"I didn't know you had a sister," she said, and I chuckled at the thought of Layla.

"She's crazy, but you gotta love her," I replied, and then saw that there was one piece left. "All yours," I offered it up.

"No you can have it, I've eaten more than you," she replied, but I just reached and put the little paper plate on her lap. She shrugged and didn't refuse again, picking it up to take a bite.

"What about you, do you have any siblings?" I asked, looking down at her next to me. Our arms were slightly touching, which made my face heat up a little.

"I have a little cousin who lives with us, he's basically my little brother," she replied.

"How old?"

"Five. He's a cutie," she smiled, and it was contagious, my lips turning up as well. She had some gold, glittery eyeshadow on that made her eyes pop even more, if that was even possible.

"Speaking of five, it's five whole dollars to ride the Ferris wheel, so it's probably not worth it," I informed her, but she just scrunched her eyebrows together.

"You can't just go to a fair and not go on the Ferris wheel," she claimed, and I laughed.

"Is this coming from all your fair-going experience?"

"It's coming from my common sense," she replied, standing up and dragging me up with her. My arm tingled when she let go of it. "If we don't go on the Ferris wheel, then I'll give you an F for the night."

"Really? An an F?" I smiled at her.

"Yes. Now come on let's go," she grabbed my hand and led the way. Part of me felt proud walking with her- like I was happy that everyone who was seeing us knew that we were there together.

When we finally got to the Ferris wheel, I went to get $10 from my wallet for us, but she had already whipped it out and handed it to the guy.

"I could've paid," I told her as we walked into one of the carts and sat down on the little bench. There was enough room for the two of us, but we were definitely close  enough together for my heart to speed up.