Chapter 41

"Honestly Ragnor?! Was that nonsense necessary?" Magnus asked as he and Jace moved from the chairs they'd been bound to and spelled so that Clary couldn't see them.

Serena, on the other hand, appeared standing next to Ragnor, never having been bound in the first place before being rendered invisible.

"Of course. She offered me anything," Ragnor said to his friend. "You were only up to a timeshare of your flat in Paris. Yawn," Ragnor replied.

"And why wasn't Serena given the same treatment as us? You don't even know her!" Magnus said and Serena faux-gasped as he threw her under the bus.

Ragnor gasped as he moved closer to her, taking her hand holding it forward before bringing it to his lips in a chaste kiss.

"I would never hurt Serena Wayland, friend to the Downworlders. I know all about her. And I don't think tying her up would make the best first impression," he said and Jace glared at him.

"That's my sister. Not to mention, she's married," he said and Ragnor sighed as he waved him off.

"Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that she now bears the Lightwood name. You don't mind that I called you Wayland, do you?" Ragnor asked her and Serena smiled as she let out a small laugh and said,

"No, it's fine."

"Alright, enough with the warlock games!" Clary interrupted, annoyed by the fact that Jace still refused to acknowledge her as his sister, and that she and Serena hadn't really talked about it either.

"Can you really wake my mother?"

Ragnor stared at her. "Not without the Book of the White."

"What is the Book of the White?" Jace asked with a tired look on his face.

"It's an ancient book of warlock magic, containing spells more powerful than most warlocks could ever dream of," Serena informed and Ragnor looked at her with an impressed smile.

"Oh, she does know of us. It is so lovely to meet a Shadowhunter who actually took the time to know us Downworlders and our history and customs," Ragnor rambled on and Serena bowed her head in appreciation of the compliment.

"Tell me about it," Magnus agreed as he began looking around and Ragnor turned back to Clary, smile gone again.

"I possessed the book when your mother came to me and I used its' contents to create the potion. Regrettably, I no longer have the book. I asked Jocelyn to hide it so that Valentine might never find it," Ragnor explained as Clary's eyes widened.

"Ragnor, please. I have to get my mom back. Is there any way that we can get the Book of the White?" she asked.

"Possibly. And I may have something that can help us. Won't be but a moment," and with that, the horned warlock ran off into the depths of his home.

"What happens if we can't find the book?" Clary wondered aloud.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Jace assured her.

"It's a bit drab, isn't it?" Magnus said gesturing to the decor.

"I actually quite like this," Serena said as she ran her hand along a mahogany table with several artefacts on it, before Ragnor's scream sound through the air and she drew her swords.

Ragnor fell from the second story in-door balcony, his magic able to kill the Shax demon that attacked him, but it could do nothing for the wound he'd already obtained.

"Ragnor!" Magnus yelled as they ran for him, Serena sheathing her swords.

His neck was badly torn as he struggled to breathe.