four

~*~*~

~*~*~

"oi, black!"

~*~*~

"how've you been?" asked sirius as the two walked around the grounds in a strange silence that wasn't awkward but there was underlying tension.

"phenomenal," replied regulus deadpan, looking out into the water of the lake, the sun glittered on the water and it looked picturesque, regulus thought.

"no, reg, how are you?" asked sirius with a serious tone that surprised regulus because he hadn't ever really spoken like that.

"fine," shrugged regulus, not knowing what else to say and not wishing to tell sirius exactly how he was feeling, not seeing the point in it all.

"c'mon, reg, we aren't like how we used to be," said sirius suddenly, "you used to actually smile, do you remember how to do that?"

"i sincerely apologise that i haven't had much to smile about since you abandoned me," said regulus, stupidly giving into how he was feeling but he felt like he couldn't hold it in any longer when sirius complained about regulus' distance and withdrawn demeanour.

"i couldn't cope in that house, mum and dad hate me," said sirius raking a hand through his hair when a gust of wind blew by, "you can because mum and dad think you're the best son on the planet."

"what makes you think i can cope?" asked regulus challengingly, "i'm intrigued, actually, what makes you think that?"

"because you- well, y'know? mum and dad like you, you can play the part better than me," said sirius but regulus just tutted at the weak answer, he shook his head and walked past him brother.

"who says i'm playing a part?" asked regulus over his shoulder before finally walking away from the lake, feeling no better about he and sirius' relationship than he did before.

regulus feeling severely pissed off, headed to potions in a strop, not in the mood for any unnecessary attention. but, since when did regulus ever get his way?

"oi, black!" called the easily determined voice of barty crouch jr, who threw his arm around regulus' shoulder. offended, regulus pushed it off.

"we don't have that kind of friendship, crouch, dunno how many times i need to say that," said regulus honestly, knowing barty wouldn't actually say anything to bite back, he'd just accept regulus' distaste towards him.

"when's the quidditch tryouts?" asked barty as he stood beside regulus outside the potions classroom.

"this sunday," answered regulus with a sigh, sick of having the same conversation, "in all honesty, crouch, i think you should sit it out. only the best make the team and you can barely ride a broom."