twenty-three.

chapter twenty-three

CLAY LEANS FORWARD, JAW slackening

CLAY LEANS FORWARD, JAW slackening. His eyes move over the picture he's just received, racing across every curve. He replies almost instantly.

You better not look like that when I get there

why not? i look good

Too good, he thinks, almost groaning. His head snaps up as the car door creaks open. George drops into the passenger seat, holding out the tray of drinks. Clay takes it from him. Nick slides into the back seat, arms full of Wendy's food bags. The car instantly floods with the smell of fast food. Clay hides his phone deep in his pocket, protecting her dignity.

"How much longer?" George asks, already sucking down his drink.

"Like an hour. Unless we hit traffic."

"Can we go to the beach?" Nick asks from the backseat, eyes flickering to the window. They're not close to the shore yet, but it's obvious his friend is anticipating their arrival in the southern city.

"Good idea," George agrees. Clay shrugs.

"You guys can probably go. I'm gonna be helping I for a bit. Plus...I haven't seen her in a few weeks..." He trails off, not fully expressing his thoughts. Yet the implication is there.

"Ok, fine, you dog," Nick smirks. "I'm sure we'll be fine. Good city explorers, right George?"

George's eyes are glued to the flying landscape outside the window. He's fairly quiet, but that's just George. He's loud and wild when he wants to be, but otherwise he's soft spoken. Clay had expected his long-time friend to be more of a wildcard in person. Then again, he knows him. He knows George is always listening. Always watching. Calculating.

The rest of the drive is interspersed with salty fingers from Nick passing fries up to him, sticky lips from Sprite, and finally, the warm breeze of ocean air when they've driven close enough to Miami to roll the windows down. Nick sucks in the air, nearly sticking his head through the gap like an excited hound.