13

Korra

The football bounces off my head and splashes into the water in front of me. I turn around and glare at the two behind me.
"Watch it." I say whilst Mako struggles through the forest again like he always does. I take the football out of the small pond and throw it towards Kuvira, who easily catches it with both hands.

Downtown beach, it's normally where we spend most of our weekends. Bolin was supposed to be here too but I think he's out with Asami's friend Opal. So it's just us three now. I dip my hand back into the water, flicking my fingers so it causes multiple ripples. It's warm, this pond is always warm no matter the weather.

I take my hand out of the water and wipe it down on my jeans. I take my phone out of my front pocket and swipe onto Asami's contact. I don't say anything of course, why would I need to? I just like reading our past conversations. Asami was slowly beginning to talk to me like I wasn't a piece of dirt. Progress!

"Salami? Really?" Kuvira questions as she leans over my shoulder to take a look at my phone.

"What? It rhymes with Asami." I reply, proud at the contact name I've given my project partner.

"She'll probably kill you if she finds out about that."

"Yeah I know. That's why it's funny." I chuckle. If Asami ever got a hold of my phone, which is more than likely impossible, I might as well bury myself 6-feet under.

"Speaking of which..."
Kuvira sits crossed legged next to me, ball in her lap.
"How'd it go with Salami last time you were here?"

I smile, remembering how happy that girl looked when she was here.
"I think she liked it. I mean she was laughing so I hope so?"

"Good to know." Kuvira hums.
"When are you going to the next place?"

"I suggested Friday again but she insisted we go on Wednesday." I say with a smile. Even though she probably just wants to get this project over and done with as soon as possible, I just pretend that she actually wants to spend time with me to make myself feel better. It's worked so far.

Kuvira raises a brow at me whilst smirking, and I'm utterly confused. Why is she looking at me like that?
"Are you sure you like this girl?"

I scrunch up my face, flicking water from the pond at her.
"What sort of question is that? of course I like her."

"You just like her..." She says again with that same smirk.

What is she trying to get at?
"Yes..?" I reply, not really sure what else I'm supposed to say. Who wouldn't like Asami Sato?

"You're telling me that you've liked this girl from the very start of school." She begins in that tone, that low tone where she's trying to prove that she's right.
"You've learnt most things about her without even saying a word to her because you get too nervous, paid attention to her more than the actual lessons." I open my mouth to speak but she holds up her index finger, silencing me.
"You fell sideways off a chair for her and not to mention you're taking her to places that you said would never take anyone else." I advert my gaze back to the pond again and let Kuvira's words sink in.
"You know you smile like an idiot when you talk about her right? And also... you gave her your dad's coat." My breath hitches.
"You've done so much more too, and you're telling me that you just like her?"

I widen my eyes and slowly turn to my friend next to me.
"Are you saying that I love her?"

She shrugs with a grin.
"I don't know, do you?"

I take a moment, counting the ripples in the water my hand creates, feeling the warmth against my skin. Do I? All this time I've been calling it a crush, I have a crush on Asami Sato. But now that Kuvira has made me take a step back and look at it from a different perspective I'm not so sure now. Does a crush really last for that many years? But do I actually love this girl? Asami was always shy. Always behind those slightly broken glasses whilst she read, always at the back of each class.