Chapter 59

*you are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice*

*Leah's Pov*

"The secretary of State," Vision answered. Oh shit. That's all I could think of. I haven't even spoke to Tony about the situation, I haven't even asked how his production went at M.I.T. I feel so bad.

"It will be fine," Steve said, noticing my blank face staring out the door. He gestured for me to follow him, which I did and we headed inside the briefing room.

It was just me and Steve at first; and then Tony, Rhodey, Natasha, Sam, Wanda, Pietro and Vision walked in all together. Tony looked at me with an apologetic look, and then as he walked past he rubbed my shoulder and sent me a sympathetic smile. He knew. The whole world knew, what was I expecting.

After a few muffled conversations, the Secretary of State walked in: Thaddeus Ross. I hate him, he is just one of those people, right?

I wasn't really listening to him at first, because he was stood at the front of the table. the first row of seats were Rhodey, Vision, Natasha then Steve. The row opposite them was, Wanda, Pietro, Me, then Sam; he spoke about him having a heart attack or something to do with golf.

"The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some.....who would prefer the world, vigilantes."

"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Nat asked.

"How about dangerous?" I scoffed at Ross's response. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" I scoffed again as he finished speaking for a moment and he glared at me.

Ross activates a screen behind him and news footage of: Chitauri Levathians, terrified citizens and the Hulk smashing into a building who causes a camera to break.

"New York."

I see Natasha and Rhodey share some regretful glances.

Then Ross swipes the screen to now show: Three insight Helicarriers firing on eachother, a destroyed Triskelion and a massive wave engulfing pedestrians.