seventeen: the control room

The wall in front of us clasped shut, leaving us completely engulfed in darkness. I don't think we were stood there for long, everyone breathing heavy, absolutely no words shared.

A small light shot at us, as I noticed it came from a door being opened ajar. Teresa stood in front of it, looking at it with a confused expression, before she moved forward, and pushed it open further.

The light was blinding for a minute, but we quickly adjusted and all began to walk through.

They were hallways. Covered in metal tubes, dimly lit with a cold presence. Not remotely comforting. To be fair, I didn't really expect anything more.

Everyone exchanged glances, furrowed brows lingered throughout our faces as a noise appeared behind us. The lights. One by one they turned on, exposing the long walls as nothing but bare and lifeless.

Our eyes stuck mostly to Thomas, looking at him for what to do; for whatever reason, he seemed to have his head screwed on straight, and people began to trust him more and more. Completely ignoring what Gally said.

Newt looked down at me slowly, I had my gaze diverted, but once I realised he was looking at me I turned my head to meet his eyes.

They were soft, warm, as a small smile crept onto his face. I looked at him contently. I didn't need to say anything, and neither did he as we just stared at each other, finding comfort in just each other's presence.

Thomas moved forward slightly as we both diverted our gaze, watching the boy slowly proceed down the corridor. Still, no one said a word as collectively we began to follow him.

He had only been in the Glade for no more than a week, but already he showed great leadership. I don't doubt for a second that he will be the one to take control, become the person we all need to guide us back to civilization.

It took about one minute for us to reach something promising. A door. Nothing special, however, above it was an illuminated sign. The sign read 'EXIT'.

Not what I was expecting at all.

"Seriously?" My head turned immediately towards the person finally breaking the silence. Frypan shook his head in dismay, as others laughed slightly behind him.

No one approached the door, even Thomas looked hesitant. My lack of patience wasn't having any of it as I sighed quietly and took a step forward, placing my hand on the door handle. I turned it and with a small click, it opened.

Without another word, I pushed it open and went through, the lights slowly lighting up the rooms as we entered.

I took about three steps before my eyes caught something ahead of me. Bodies. People.

They were dead, covered in blood and thrown about around the room. Something bad had happened here, and it must have been recent.

"What the hell happened here?" Minho gasped, finding a gun on the floor near one of the bodies. He kicked it slightly, nudging it closer to the wall before inspecting it. It looked like a regular Glock 17 pistol. It was a black polymer-framed, short recoil operated; locked breech semi-automatic. Decent gun, quick and easy to use.

I suddenly snapped myself out of my thoughts. Shocked by my knowledge on the subject. How the hell do I know that? Why do I know that?

Newt nudged my shoulder carefully, pulling me back into reality as I looked up at him. He seemed confused by my sudden interest in the object, but didn't say a word.

I noticed the other parts of the room as we both began to walk over to the center where large monitors stood proudly.

On them was the Glade. Footage of us. What we were doing. All of it.