Closeness | قربت

Zohaib stopped as he stepped into the balcony. It was a full moon night and the stars were out.  A cool breeze brushed his face, ruffling his hair. Squinting at his surroundings, he saw Faryal was sitting on the floor with her back pressed to the wall. He cautiously moved forward and sat beside her on the floor. 

He turned his head towards her. Her features shone in the moonlight. Her eyes were closed, but her lips were moving probably mumbling something. Her hair flew into her face as the wind blew around her. He was looking at her intently, her face was showing various emotions. 

She smiled, heaved a sigh and opened her eyes. She was about to stand up, her eyes fell on the figure sitting beside her. She screamed. Zohaib quickly covered her mouth with his hand.

"It's me Zohaib, stop screaming. You will wake up everyone". He said in a low voice and removed his hand from her mouth.

She released a breath in relief. "Jan nikal di apne meri (You scared me). When did you come outside?".

"A few minutes ago", He said.

"I thought you were asleep",

"Uhu, I couldn't sleep",

"Now you will blame me for that as well if you couldn't wake up early in the morning", she pouted.

"Jo bighrhna tha bighrh chuka hai ab itni asani say buray asaraat thori janay hain tumhre (Whatever was supposed to ruin, is already ruined. Your bad influence won't go away easily)", he teased her.

"I came here to talk to my Ammi, yesterday I went to meet her but didn't get the time to talk to her in detail", She moved her gaze towards the sky.

"Meet her?", he asked.

"Yup", she nodded. "I went to the graveyard to meet her that's where she lives," she murmured. "Don't worry I didn't take Zahra with me, she was sitting with Zain in the car", she added. Both of them silently sat there, staring at the sky.

"So your Ammi still hates me?", He asked.

She turned her head towards him. Her eyebrows wriggled in confusion. "Why would she ha-...Oh wait", she laughed. "Did you really think she would hate you? She is my Ammi she can't hate anyone. You are my friend that's what my Ammi knows about you".

"I am not your friend", he shrugged with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"You are kidding, right?" She looked at him hopefully. He shook his head indicating a "No". Her smile faded.

"Oh, you are saying that because I never asked you properly to become my friend, silly me", she facepalmed.

"Will you become my friend?", She stretched forward her hand for a handshake. He looked at her hand and then into her eyes. "Please", she added nervously.

"If I say no then", he teased her further.

"Koe baat nahi apko muj say dosti nahi krni tou mein apse dosti kar lun gi (Doesn't matter, If you don't want to become my friend I can become your friend)", she smiled, the kind of smile which didn't reach her eyes and looked at her hand. She seemed hurt.

She was about to move her hand back, he grabbed her hand.

"I was just pulling your leg", he said. She looked back at him. " You want to become my friend, so be it."

"Seriously?",

"Hmm",

Her eyes brightened up, "You are not just a friend but my best friend of course after Meesha, Zahra, and Uzair, but YOU ARE."