part four

the one on the very first day.

part four

Juno stares at the uniform hanging in the wardrobe, taking in the various articles of clothing with a raised brow. She wonders just how much her parents must have paid in school fees for her to come here - each piece is thoughtfully designed and exquisitely made. Today will be her first official day of school, and after everything she'd been told yesterday, she's feeling much more apprehensive than excited.

Finally, she picks out the black-and-white plaid pleated skirt and a white silk blouse, choosing to skip the blazer or sweater - the rule is that you must at least be wearing some black and white, which are the school's official colors - and then she puts on the gray knee-high socks and some black platform Mary Jane shoes that she'd brought with her from home. Her bright hair is the only color on her, which she finds amusing.

She's just finished checking her light makeup in the mirror inside the tiny bathroom when a knock sounds on the door. As she's arrived three weeks after the school year began, Juno has the fortune of not having to worry about a roommate. But then she remembers that the Headmaster had told her they would be sending someone to take her around and show her the ropes, just until she's more familiar with the school. She sighs and goes over to open the door.

The boy on the other side is familiar, even though she'd seen in him casual clothes yesterday as opposed to the uniform he has on now. He's leaning against the doorframe, hands casually in his pockets as he looks back at her. "Oh, it's you," he comments, a small smirk dancing on his lips.

Juno quickly grabs her bag laying on the bed, checking quickly to make sure it's full of all the supplies she requires. "Haechan, right?"

He nods. "Good, you're ready. Breakfast officially starts in about five minutes, so I guess I can show you around a bit before then." He pauses, realizing he hasn't yet stated his purpose for being here. "I'm your guide, by the way."

"Yeah, I figured as much." After shutting the door behind her and making sure she's memorized the code to open it later, Juno sets off across the hallway with Haechan.

"You've got your timetable, right?" he inquires, and Juno reaches in her bag to give it to him. His eyes rove down the paper before he gives it back to her, pleased. "Okay, we have a bunch of classes together."

"And that's a good thing, I hope?" she inquires.

"It's a wonderful thing," he corrects, and she shoots him an unimpressed look. "I'm awesome. You really lucked out actually, getting me as your personal guide to the school. Some would kill for that opportunity."

"Right," she drawls. For some reason, that word 'kill' sends and unpleasant feeling down her back. She shivers. This weird school must be getting to her.

Haechan's status becomes painfully evident as they continue. Almost everyone they encounter on their way shouts an enthusiastic greeting to him, simultaneously giving her curious cursory glances. He seems to know everybody and is incredibly social; that much was clear from their conversation the day before. Even the way he carries himself - head up, effortless swagger, that self-assured smirk on his face - gives her much insight into exactly what he's like.

Juno knows his type. Which is why she understands that if she is to finish off this year quietly, she's better off steering clear.

"This is the North Wing," Haechan says, his voice cutting into her thoughts. "All the science-based courses and electives are here. The South has all the mathematical ones, the East is mostly history, and the West is the language classes. So it makes it easier to find the class if you know what it is that you have."