{CHAPTER 16}

°

°

THE SMALL BABY DRAGONS WERE CURIOUS ABOUT THE WORLD AROUND THEM. The petite golden one sat on Bilbo's head, the hobbit remained completely unmoving and petrified, while he sat on the ground underneath a tree with Rhaenyra. Drogon's wound was still healing, and he could not fly long distances without being in too much pain, so Thranduil had extended an invitation for Rhaenyra and her dragons to stay in his lands, so the Winged Shadow could heal. Rhaenyra had thanked him with a shy smile for his consideration before strolling out into the gardens with Bilbo and her hatchlings. 

However, not too soon after  Gandalf joined them and asked if he could have a few words with Bilbo about what has happened to him during this adventure. Rhaenyra thought it wise that Bilbo talks about it all to someone, seeing how adventures across Middle Earth involving, orcs, dragons and war didn't often happen to hobbits, and it must have been strange for Bilbo to live through them. The Dragon Queen smiled and waved a temporary goodbye to him before turning her eyes back to her three hatchlings who laid curled up in the grass before her, tails interlacing with each other.

She found herself in a serene and calm world for a short while, birds singing in the trees above her, the sound of water running from a nearby stream reached her ears. Rhaenyra closed her eyes and tilted her face up towards the sky, letting the sun shine straight at her face. It is a relaxing moment to find herself in and after the many stressful days as of late Rhaenyra had endured, war would never be easy and both she and Drogon had almost died. 

A small head nudged against her hand. It was the small white and blue hatchling who had woken up from her nap and crawled away from her siblings, begging Rhaenyra for scratches and attention. The small dragon tried to stretch its neck and full length and purred happily as Rhaenyra gave her all the scratches she wished for. Happily she flapped her pale wings, using her sharp claws to crawl up Rhaenyra's leg and curled up in her lap. 

"I hope the clothes I provided for you are comfortable and to your tastes."

Rhaenyra looked up from the dragon in her lap to see the Elven King approach. Thranduil had decided to dress in a set of long and comfortable robes, dark green in colour with shimmering silver threads woven into the fabric in the patterns of tangling vines. His long silver hair fell past his shoulders and wore no crown of flowers and twigs this day. The King looked at ease with his surroundings when he stood close by her. 

His words then made her glance down at the gown she was currently wearing. A purple gown with long sleeves, the colour matching her eyes. Rhaenyra was momentarily embarrassed that she was sitting on the ground while wearing something new Thranduil had provided for her, but swiftly dismissed the thought. He didn't seem to mind and instead joined her, sitting close beside Rhaenyra on the soft grass underneath the tree. 

"I do, thank you." Rhaenyra made sure to thank him, smiling politely and laughing just a little when the golden and purple hatchlings woke from their slumber and started to sniff at the long cloak that was part of Thranduil's cloak.