Chapter 50

WHAT how is this already chapter 50?! so crazy, it seems like I just started writing this story last week... anyways, have a great day or night for whenever you're reading this! hope you enjoy :)

"I still don't understand how this is real..." Remus breathed out.

The shock of Cassie being alive and well in front of them had faded slightly, but it didn't make the situation any less confusing. All three of them watched her die, yet here she was sitting on a chair beside them.

"Honestly, I don't either," Cassie chuckled.

"How long have you been, well, alive?" Tonks asked.

"It'll have been a month in a few days," she replied.

"All that time and you never thought to come see us? We've been mourning you!" Tonks expressed.

Cassie didn't miss the crack in her cousin's voice. Although it was better that none of them knew, it didn't make it easier telling her family the truth of how long she has been back. Despite the secrecy being for a worthwhile reason, it really didn't matter. They would never understand.

"I had to keep it a secret," Cassie told.

"How?" Sirius retorted. "How could there be any reason to not tell any of us that you're alive. I'm your dad, Cassiopeia!"

"It's complicated," she groaned. "Something happened when I came back, but it's hard to explain."

"Why don't you just try to tell us what happened," Remus suggested.

She knew she wouldn't be able to tell everything, but Cassie knew they deserved somewhat of an explanation. After letting them suffer for a month, they had the right to that, at least.

"It began as soon as I fell into the veil. When I opened my eyes, I thought I was dead, but instead there was a woman that greeted me. She claimed to be a Selwyn ancestor and went on to tell me about a gift the women apparently have. If a Selwyn woman dies by a random cause, they have the opportunity to come back. Other stuff happened, but that's the gist of it. I opened a door that led me out to the living, but I found myself back a year later instead," she explained.

It was mostly the truth, but she had to leave out the part of bringing someone dead back with her. By including that detail, it would only lead to more questions that she knew she wouldn't be able to answer.

"That doesn't explain why you've been hiding out since you returned," Tonks said suspiciously.

"I can't clarify how, but I found something, something that very few people can know about. I've been working with someone else who already knew about this... thing, but we needed to keep quiet about it can help us win the war and Voldemort knows we're aware about it," Cassie shared.

"Who are you working with?" Sirius asked quickly, already having ideas of his own.

"My Uncle, Joseph Selwyn," she revealed reluctantly.

Cassie didn't want to tell them about Joseph, but knowing them, they would force her to reveal who she's been hiding out with. At least by giving his name, it points them far away from Regulus as possibly coming up.

Unsurprisingly though, as soon as she said her Uncle's name, gasps were emitted from the trio. They weren't aware about Joseph not following Voldemort, however, so she didn't really blame them for their reaction.

"He's a Death Eater!" Sirius blurted.

"He isn't one anymore," Cassie defended him.

"No one stops being a Death Eater," Remus interjected.